Know of any Kubota TG1860G mower deck installation videos?

ccheatha

Threads
  • / Know of any Kubota TG1860G mower deck installation videos?
Or any bits of info would help. I'll try and make this long story short: My father-in-law doesn't really like getting his hands dirty with small engines. If some piece of equipment starts to falter, he'll bail and buy something new. He's always giving me stuff that doesn't work anymore - I'll fix it and want to give it back to him, but he's normally already bought something new. i.e. he had a really nice shop vac that wouldn't work anymore. It was a simple on/off switch replacement ($5), but he'd already bought a new one - LOL. Anyway, he bought the Kubota in 2001. He's had it maintained well for years (gave me all the records, etc.), but he changed to a new place for maintenance this past Spring. He was using it a couple weeks ago and it just shut off and start smoking. He'd had it in for service to the new place earlier (couple months before) and asked them to replace any belts that needed replacing, etc. They supposedly did all of that. So he was tired of it and asked if I wanted it. By the time I'd arrived (couple hours away), he'd already bought a new zero-turn. The company delivered said they'd haul away his Kubota for free - LOL. Anyway, when I got there, I started it up and it did smoke a little bit, but I found a bolt that attaches the exhaust on the driver's side at the base of the engine that was loose and leaking a little oil. I tightened it and that seemed to solve that problem. Then I examined the mower deck belt and found that it was hanging on by a thread at one point. About a 5 inch long section had the outer core pretty much sheered off and it was barely hanging on. In other places, there were cuts down to that same inner core. And the belt seemed old, so I don't think the shop had replaced that belt. At this point, I'm just going to replace that belt and see how it goes, but I'm looking for any videos that might be available to make things easier - I'm definitely visual. I've found videos for the BX series on removing/installing stuff like the mower deck, but NOTHING for the TG1860

The thing has a 54" deck on it, power steering, hydrostatic transmission, etc. This one IS gas - not diesel. Seems to be a beast compared to regular residential lawn tractors. I also checked average selling prices for these things and it seems to be somewhere around $2500 or so - surprising for a 20 year old mower. In contrast, I bought my old Husqvarna (with a 48" deck) in 2008 for about $1500. Even though this is clearly a residential mower, compared to my Husqvarna, it seems to be commercial.

Anyways, any helpful links to videos, etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do a google search with this title, “how to install deck on a kubota tg1860”. You’ll find “OrangeTractorTalks” which will probably give you more info than you need.

ccheatha

Threads
Do a google search with this title, “how to install deck on a kubota tg1860”. You’ll find “OrangeTractorTalks” which will probably give you more info than you need.
Thanks, @Rivets. I did find that site and there's some good info there, but no vids of anything. Maybe they just don't exist for this model.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have someone raise and lower the deck and you observe. There are probably 4 links that are attached to the deck and lift mechanisms. Once you figure that out, you will know what to do. Also, make a sketch of the belt routing. This will help in putting the new belt correctly.

ccheatha

Threads
Have someone raise and lower the deck and you observe. There are probably 4 links that are attached to the deck and lift mechanisms. Once you figure that out, you will know what to do. Also, make a sketch of the belt routing. This will help in putting the new belt correctly.
Yes, I know where those are and how to detach/attach those points. There are also other things like the adjustments for the tension spring rod, etc. I was just hoping that videos existed for things like this as well as other maintenance types things that I'd do myself. Thx

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, I know where those are and how to detach/attach those points. There are also other things like the adjustments for the tension spring rod, etc. I was just hoping that videos existed for things like this as well as other maintenance types things that I'd do myself. Thx
Here’s a link. You can copy or create a PDF.

ccheatha

Threads
Here’s a link. You can copy or create a PDF.
@MParr that's excellent. Thx. The pic on the 2nd page of that link helps a lot to show exactly where the tension spring rod should be positioned. I was still unsure of that, so that helps a lot.

ccheatha

Threads
So I was able to spend a little time with the tractor after work and was actually able to get the mower deck installed with little effort. I wasn’t sure about the tension spring rod at first , but that made sense after reading and checking things out. I did find one issue though when inspecting the transmission area. A hose is supposed to be attached to the top of it. It has a button on top at the opposite end. I’m guessing this is an air vent? At any rate, the hose is attached to a plastic piece which goes into the top of the transmission. That plastic piece is broken. I have no idea as to how easy that will be to repair. Anyone know? Thx

IMG_2640.jpg

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can probably get a new breather kit from your local Kubota dealer.

ccheatha

Threads
You can probably get a new breather kit from your local Kubota dealer.
Cool beans - I was thinking I’d be able to get the parts. I just wasn’t sure how easy the repair would be. All depends on how that plastic piece that the hose connects to (via clamp) is to remove/install.