Keeping top of deck clean

woody1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Husqvarna YTH22V42 from about 2010. It seems like I spend more time cleaning the top of the deck than I do mowing. Is this normal? Is there any solution to this? Or have other brands of mower perhaps solved the problem of heavy debris buildup on top of the deck? Thanks and regards, Woody

deminin

Threads
I have a YTH24V48, and every time I mow, I spend a few minutes blowing all the debris from the deck...and entire mower...with my big leaf blower, when done mowing. Then, every month, or so, I hook the garden hose to the deck and wash the underside good. Keeping the deck clean, and the spindles lubed goes a long way toward keeping everything working properly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
An air duster that is 4' long is what I use in the workshop as it will shift crud from everywhere without having me eating it .
Leaf blowers are the nest best but getting the debris from around the pulleys & under the covers takes a bit of doing

Ken22

Threads
I use both. The leaf blower gets the bulk of the grass out then I blow the nooks and crannies with the blow gun. I usually wash the deck and tractor with soap and water then Wash n Wax then a gentle rinse and wipe down. A little excessive but I enjoy cleaning units.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use both. The leaf blower gets the bulk of the grass out then I blow the nooks and crannies with the blow gun. I usually wash the deck and tractor with soap and water then Wash n Wax then a gentle rinse and wipe down. A little excessive but I enjoy cleaning units.

Ken 22- I use the Blower & then my Cali Duster. I NEVER use water. But mine gets paste waxed at end of each mow season (which makes blowing it off easier)...

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a Woods rear mount mower that collects a lot of grass under the belt covers. It's six nuts and washers to take off all three and then blow the clippings out with a leaf blower. On a yard tractor, you'll probably have less work than that to remove the pulley/belt covers and blow it out. After you've done that a few times, you'll have a better idea of whether it's worth it or not.

Ken22

Threads
I wash the hood and seat area on my tractors or seat area and floor plate on the ZTR. I do wipe the decks off. The rinse is with a pail. It is a good idea to keep it as dry as possible.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wash the hood and seat area on my tractors or seat area and floor plate on the ZTR. I do wipe the decks off. The rinse is with a pail. It is a good idea to keep it as dry as possible.

(y)

I drilled 6 holes (3 on each spindle cover) on my Z, so I can blow them out & visually see they are clean with out removal during mow season.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have a Woods rear mount mower that collects a lot of grass under the belt covers. It's six nuts and washers to take off all three and then blow the clippings out with a leaf blower. On a yard tractor, you'll probably have less work than that to remove the pulley/belt covers and blow it out. After you've done that a few times, you'll have a better idea of whether it's worth it or not.

Belt covers are there to prevent the company being sued when the idiot operator steps on the moving bits or shoves their hands in there
Most of them can be modified wit a few caefully placed holes so an air duster or leaf blower can blow the debris out
Hundreds of posts here on such modifications

Ken22

Threads
Ken 22- I use the Blower & then my Cali Duster. I NEVER use water. But mine gets paste waxed at end of each mow season (which makes blowing it off easier)...
I looked up what a Cali Duster is and I see some on Amazon. Thanks for mentioning it.