Keep a few spares on hand

deckeda

Threads
Exhibit #369 for why it's impossible for me to keep any riding mower completely functional for an entire mowing season ... because the cheapest of simple parts will bring the machine down to its knees with nary a warning. And then a few days might go by before you can diagnose. And then there's the ordering, and waiting, and if it comes mid-week you wait until the weekend to install and if you're lucky that's the only part it really needed. It's very easy for 2 weeks to blow by, and the grass doesn't pause in summer. On the other hand, I put gas in the push mower and it "just works." Always, and essentially forever. For years at least.

Hey ... I ain't ranting, because none of this is new to me. Perhaps you can relate. On the other hand, maybe you're retired and have unlimited hours available to keep old mowers in a constant state of tune all the time. I won't judge if you don't!

Sure, I could maybe keep the bottom part from rusting (it lives under the top park of the deck) but what would be the point, when the other end that the deck spring hooks to gets cut through regardless? (Which nearly happened here.) Just swap it out every season. Lesson learned.

$1.20 plus tax and delivery, so I ordered 4 and installed one today. I think the ruined one lasted lasted a total of 1.5 or 2 seasons. When I bought the mower the previous genius had skipped using this part and just somehow jammed the spring in the hole in the deck, but I caught that before it could rip the deck hole wide. To get it going I farmer-fixed it with a bolt and nut for the spring to connect to, complete with ferules so that the spring would not eat through the bolt shaft. So when the spring ate though the ferule I bought ONE of these. No more. Now they'll only get bought in multiples.

Attachments

• M110727.JPG
    M110727.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 11

winmod21

Threads
Amen ! ;) Although I'm not really sure what you're talkin' about. But Amen for attitude! I hear ya! ;)
Our 2003 GT225 hasn't had that problem, nor any rust, but Amen again on the wisdom and foresight of accumulating critical and/or 'simple' spare parts.