Kawasaki FX850V failed with just 2.9hr of use.

Carl.Cook

Threads
Started my third cut with my new X One when the engine started running rough and heavy smoke from exhaust. Inspected the engine and checked oil, all was fine. Restarted and engine would not increase on rpm past idle, which was rough and exhaust smoke. Engine started making loud noise and spitting small metal parts from exhaust. I assumed broken rings and dealer will replace engine. Dealer recommended running 15 hours on break-in oil, but that sounds like a bit too long and suspect that may have been the problem. With the new engine I plan to run break-in oil at half throttle for about 1-2 hours and changing to regular oil. Will welcome any comments and debate.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know anybody that actually uses break in oil, other than racing folks. I suspect it is just regular motor oil. and 15 hours is not excessive. Most engine manufacturers have done away with the first break in oil change if the engine contains an oil filter, which is most cases is 50-100 hours.. And if air cooled needs to be run a full throttle for proper cooling. Engine will actually run hotter at half throttle under load.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Run it wide open for cooling. A special break in oil is not really necessary. Pick a good oil that is high in zinc and phosphorus. Mobil 1 15W50 synthetic, Motorcraft Super Duty 15W40, Rotella T5 15W40. Use a quality oil filter.

clubairth

Threads
Sorry to hear about the failure. Post back with what happened if you can?
Don't hear many engines that die that early.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
On Kawi engines, you park the oil dipstick on TOP of the tube threads when checking oil level. Never screw it all the way down. Check your engine manual for more info.

Could of been low on oil??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The only reoccuring failure I have come across on those engines is a pushrod dropping into the engine because the single nut that retains the pushrod housing came loose.
In every case bar one Kawakasi just sent me a new head after I posted the dead one back to them + gaskets & oil.
I am not a Kawakasi dealer but my wholesaler is.
So I got no credit for the labour but did it gratiis because I have supplied all but one engine.
So from then on, I check every new Kawkasi engine and fit rocker cover gaskets so I can prove that the covers had at least been taken off .

Carl.Cook

Threads
Started my third cut with my new X One when the engine started running rough and heavy smoke from exhaust. Inspected the engine and checked oil, all was fine. Restarted and engine would not increase on rpm past idle, which was rough and exhaust smoke. Engine started making loud noise and spitting small metal parts from exhaust. I assumed broken rings and dealer will replace engine. Dealer recommended running 15 hours on break-in oil, but that sounds like a bit too long and suspect that may have been the problem. With the new engine I plan to run break-in oil at half throttle for about 1-2 hours and changing to regular oil. Will welcome any comments and debate.
Warranty replaced engine after catastrophic failure of one cylinder. Dealer determined valve spring broke and dropped valve in cylinder.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll take the old engine. Even pay for shipping.

lugbolt

Threads
and that is exactly what warranty is there for. To protect you, the consumer, from defects in manufacturing. Kawasaki is usually pretty good with warranties. Just don't try to pull a fast one on them, e.g., let the gas sit in the tank for a year or so then claim a 'bad carburetor". I've been through this, and much more.

clubairth

Threads
Hey that's great the Kawasaki stood behind their product. Shame the engine ate itself but that was not your fault.