Kawasaki FX730V 26.0

jhm757

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a used Snapper Pro s200xt with the FX730V 26.0, it had 700 hrs when I got it and still less than 800, it has been running great for 2 seasons, but today it started running rough all of a sudden but then seemed to smooth out some, but has lost a lot of power.

I checked compression and it has 100 psi in one cylinder and only 80 in the other, wondering what the compression should be, even the 100 psi on the one side seems like it might be a little low, any one know what the compression in this motor should be?

Looks like I'll be tearing into this motor and getting to know it better.

IMG_20220921_152728.jpgIMG_20220921_152800.jpg

txmowman

Threads
There is no "should be". 80 to 100 is good compression. The minimum for this engine is 64psi. 100 is more normal. You might check valve lash it could bring the 80 up a little. Check this first and retest before tearing anything apart. I would also run some Seafoam in the fuel for several hours to see if it clears up.

jhm757

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is no "should be". 80 to 100 is good compression. The minimum for this engine is 64psi. 100 is more normal. You might check valve lash it could bring the 80 up a little. Check this first and retest before tearing anything apart. I would also run some Seafoam in the fuel for several hours to see if it clears up.
Yeah I'm real good with Harley Shovelheads but I don't know much about these kawasaki's, I guess I need to get a service manual and start learning. I have never ran anything but 91 octane non ethanol in it since I have had it. Will try the seafoam, always ran it in my Mercury Outboard.

txmowman

Threads
Highly recommend you keep using that fuel. Typically the low power is from an issue with a cylinder. Like, an ignition coil. Running poor, then better may be a fuel quality issue. Low power, coil or valve lash possibly. Good luck.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Water in the fuel. Valves out of spec like txmowman said. Wrong oil type or level.

I would dump the fuel tank, flush it out then blow out with compressed air both ways.

How about some cooling fins? Got any mice apartments going on under the shroud?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine manual was availible from Kawasaki directly as a PDF , pretty good
There is very little difference between your Shovel & your mower engine wise other than the governed throttle & fixed ignition timing
Like your shovel, they are high torque low reving engine set to run just past peak torque
Check your air filter for signs of engine oil contamination and check the oil level is not rising
The former is one sign of a blown head gasket.
The other tell take is smoke rising from the dip stick tube with the engine off .
Rising oil is a sign of a stuck float because the overflow on these carbs are internal .

jhm757

Forum Newbie
Threads
Valves on low compression side were at about .010 (didn't check the other side) adjusted them to .004 motor was cold, no increase in the compression.

Something I noticed when I pulled plugs, (Had never checked them before cause it always ran great) Plug on the higher compression side was a BPR6ES and seemed to be running rich, plug on the lower compression side was a BPR4ES which is what the motor calls for, but that one seems to be running very lean.

IMG_20220922_115945.jpg

jhm757

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did pull the engine shroud and blew it out but it was pretty clean only a couple small spots of crud.

txmowman

Threads
The BPR4 is correct. But, pf course would have nothing to do with compression. Valve lash is good at .004". What were the compression numbers?

jhm757

Forum Newbie
Threads
The BPR4 is correct. But, pf course would have nothing to do with compression. Valve lash is good at .004". What were the compression numbers?
After valve adjustment compression didn't change. However I am using a compression tester that I have had for about 50 yrs and haven't used in about 30 yrs, when I retested the other side that had been at 100psi I now get about 80 on that side also.

Do you think that one plug the BPR4ES on the right in picture looks too Lean?