Kawasaki FR691V won't crank

Les Braden

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got a Kawasaki 24 hp FR691V bought new in 2010. It started getting hard to start.Then It wouldn't crank at all. I was told the valves needed adjusted. I took the covers off to find that 1 of the rocker bracket bolts had backed almost all the way out. the other valve was so tight it bent the pushrod. I replaced the pushrods adjusted the valves but its still not turning over. Anybody have any ideas for me??

Mikel1

Threads
Has battery been tested?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is the solenoid working ?
Can you hear it click ?
Will it turn over without the spark plugs in there ?
can you rotate the engine 2 full turns bu hand ?

Les Braden

Forum Newbie
Threads
The battery is new. I had the engine cover off so I could watch the starter. It will engage the flywheel & maybe turn the motor 1/4 of a turn then it starts struggling to turn anymore. When I take the spark plugs out & there's no compression it turns the motor over freely.Yes I can turn the engine over with my hand

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So there is something internal hat is stopping the starter from cranking the engine and that is the valve lash most of the time.
Go back and recheck it.
Also make sure that the replacement push rod is seated properly in the follower and that the whole rocker support is in the correct place in the head.
Make an indexing mark on the block and on the head and check to see if it stops at the same place every time.
If a pushrod is not seated properl you can get a coilbound valve spring and the starter can not overcome this .
However it sounds like you might not have gotten the valve adjustments quite right.
These engines are very sensative to valve lash.

Mikel1

Threads
Like Bert said recheck the valve clearances.
When you said you can turn it with your hand is that with plugs in?

Les Braden

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes I can turn it with the plugs in, when I use the starter it will turn the flywheel 1/4 of a turn then the starter won't turn it anymore. I think I'm going to take it back apart again and double check my work. I'm setting them at .006". That is correct isn't it? Also the replacement push rods were not identical to the old ones. they've changed them. Kawasaki says they're the new replacement part but the ends of them are not as big as the old ones.

Mikel1

Threads
.004-.006 inches

tiop

Forum Newbie
Threads
i have one that I roll the flywheel but the pistons don"tmove