Kawasaki fr651v cub cadet hard start, won't stay running

jamied

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kawasaki fr651v cub cadet hard start, won't stay running
It cranks great, but barely starts, then sputters like it's not getting gas, and then quits after 3-6 seconds. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I watch YouTube and copy mechanics videos. I've replaced the oil, oil filter, battery, spark plugs, fuel filter, most fuel lines, fuel pump and carburetor. And nothing has changed!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You watch too many You tube videos
Change oil = will have no effect on anything
Change oil filter = will have no effect on anything
Battery , only if the engine is canking very very slow
Spark plugs . won't hurt but rarely cause these problems
Fuel lines , worth doing only on mowers tha are 5 years or better old
Fuel pumps , almost never cause problems
Carburettor, unless it was a certified good one cause more problems than they fix .

1) remove solenoid & check it is retracting witha "snap" fully when the power is turned on
2) check the valve lash on both cylinders
3) do not touch the seat switch it is not the problem.

If nothing works then remove the blower housing and remove the kill wires on the coils.
Engine starts & runs well = safety circuit(s) failure
Get back for more details
Remove air filter and spray some very short shots of carb cleaner down the carb.
If you can keep the engine running for a minute or so like this then you have a fuel problem
Come back for more details with your results .

Last edited:

jamied

Forum Newbie
Threads
You watch too many You tube videos
Change oil = will have no effect on anything
Change oil filter = will have no effect on anything
Battery , only if the engine is canking very very slow
Spark plugs . won't hurt but rarely cause these problems
Fuel lines , worth doing only on mowers tha are 5 years or better old
Fuel pumps , almost never cause problems
Carburettor, unless it was a certified good one cause more problems than they fix .

1) remove solenoid & check it is retracting witha "snap" fully when the power is turned on
2) check the valve lash on both cylinders
3) do not touch the seat switch it is not the problem.

If nothing works then remove the blower housing and remove the kill wires on the coils.
Engine starts & runs well + safety circuit(s) failure
Get back for more details
Remove air filter and spray some very short shots of carb cleaner down the carb.
If you can keep the engine running fora minute or so like this then you have a fuel problem
Come back for more details with your results .

jamied

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know that several things I mentioned have nothing to do with the issue I'm having, I just figured I would list everything I've done in the last month. I'm not sure what have of what you said is, but I'll research it

boatmoter

Threads
It cranks great, but barely starts, then sputters like it's not getting gas, and then quits after 3-6 seconds. I'm not mechanically inclined, but I watch YouTube and copy mechanics videos. I've replaced the oil, oil filter, battery, spark plugs, fuel filter, most fuel lines, fuel pump and carburetor. And nothing has changed!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
been through that with my JD W/ Kawasaki . carb is garbage,had no luck cleaning it,replaced it, plz stay away from the real cheap Chinese carbs,I put 3 on this one in a row,all 3 the float would not shut the fuel off, I found this one from this distributor that works great, this is the store I got a good carb that did not leak and it runs great today.
(use your engine model instead of the cub model)
Address: 1093 Highview Dr, Webberville, MI 48892
Hours:
8 AM Mon - Fri Phone: (888) 672-7876