Kawasaki 19HP FH601V-C227 on Cub Cadet Zero-Turn Starts and Dies - Not sure if it is starved for fuel???

svlawnmower

Threads
  • / Kawasaki 19HP FH601V-C227 on Cub Cadet Zero-Turn Starts and Dies - Not sure if it is starved for fuel???
Problem: My Cub Cadet Zero-Turn will briefly start and die if it sits for just a few minutes. What I "think" is that it is not getting fuel. If I spray starter fluid in it, it kicks over. If it sits for a few minutes, it will kick over but die. I think it is not getting fuel but could use some opinions. Mower and Engine specifications below:

Cub Cadet Tank 48 Zero-Turn (53CB5DAV750) (Zero-Turn Manual)
Kawasaki 19HP FH601V-CS27 (Kawasaki Manual)

What happened: I started it right up like usual. It turns over very easily. It ran for about 1 minute total. I engaged the PTO and started mowing and 10 seconds later it just died.

What I have Tried: The tank does have gas (ha). However, I have not replaced the fuel pump, and it is next in the fuel supply chain. This part I have to order and before I do, I wanted some help making sure whether I should order one or look at something else before I do. I done the following:
  • The fuel lines look really good - I replaced them a couple years back.
  • I replaced the plugs
  • I replaced the fuel filter
  • New battery this year

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Kawasaki 19HP FH601V-C227 on Cub Cadet Zero-Turn Starts and Dies - Not sure if it is starved for fuel???
Pull the outlet off the fuel pump and slip some hose on it into a bucket
Crank the engine for about a minute
Fuel gushes out of the fuel line then you have a carb or ignition problem.
Helps if you remove the spark plugs and tie then back out of the way
Also be wary of the big yellow dog that goes Whoooof when petrol is gushing around.

If the flow is poor then suspect a blocked fuel outlet in the tank or collapsed / blocked fuel lines.

svlawnmower

Threads
Pull the outlet off the fuel pump and slip some hose on it into a bucket
Crank the engine for about a minute
Fuel gushes out of the fuel line then you have a carb or ignition problem.
Helps if you remove the spark plugs and tie then back out of the way
Also be wary of the big yellow dog that goes Whoooof when petrol is gushing around.

If the flow is poor then suspect a blocked fuel outlet in the tank or collapsed / blocked fuel lines.
That makes sense! Thanks for the suggestion. Thankfully I'm working from home, so maybe I can try that quick and get back with the results.

svlawnmower

Threads
bertsmobile1,
Well, I did as you suggested it appears it is probably the fuel pump. I was able to fit a bottle around the output nozzle to the carburetor and nothing ever came out. Not even a trickle.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
bertsmobile1,
Well, I did as you suggested it appears it is probably the fuel pump. I was able to fit a bottle around the output nozzle to the carburetor and nothing ever came out. Not even a trickle.
Now you can chime in on here and help other forum members. Tell them about the bottle trick.

Glad to hear you found your fuel issue.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
before you consign the fuel pump to the naughty bin
1) pull the input line off the pump and with the fuel cap removed see if you can easily blow back into the fuel tank
2) dampen you finger and hold it loose over the end of the impulse line then crank your engine and check for blow & suck
This actually works best with your tounge

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
OMG never use ether to start a small engine instead get a can of gum out carb cleaner if works great and will not burst the head.