KAW FH500V-BS11 not starting- just spins fast

silverskate49

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere lx277 will not crank, just spins motor fast. Crank is working but the valves are not moving. I am guessing a broken cam gear shaft. Haven't rebuilt a small motor in about 30 years so I looked at replacements but very expensive. Should I do a limited rebuilt or do a complete one? I have had for about 25 years and it has been a great mower but I just bought a Toro Titan zero turn and love it but my wife is afraid to use it in our tree aplenty acreage. .Thanks for any suggestions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First check to see if the pushrods are still there and are moving
If they are then
Drain the oil then pull the engine out & apart

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
My John Deere lx277 will not crank, just spins motor fast. Crank is working but the valves are not moving. I am guessing a broken cam gear shaft. Haven't rebuilt a small motor in about 30 years so I looked at replacements but very expensive. Should I do a limited rebuilt or do a complete one? I have had for about 25 years and it has been a great mower but I just bought a Toro Titan zero turn and love it but my wife is afraid to use it in our tree aplenty acreage. .Thanks for any suggestions.
Spinning fast may not be a good thing could be broken rods. Check and see it the pistons are going up and down.

silverskate49

Forum Newbie
Threads
First check to see if the pushrods are still there and are moving
If they are then
Drain the oil then pull the engine out & apart
Push rods are still there but not moving- Thanks. I am going to begin taking her down.

enigma-2

Threads
While reading this I was picturing the starter spinning, turning the crank gear, but the internals not turning.

Got to wondering if the shear pin broke, allowing the crank gear to spin without transferring the energy to the crank?

Have you checked the Shear pin?

silverskate49

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pistons are moving just no movement in valves. Took out plugs and pistons are cycling.