Just picked up a 1994 Lawn Boy Gold Series 10415

fire1hawk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just got this 1994 Lawn Boy Gold Series Commercial Mower for $50 on Craiglist. It had all the attachments: Rear bagger, side discharge plate and easy mulch plate. Always wanted a Lawn Boy and I needed a smaller mower for some tight spots my tractor can't reach.

It started right up at the guys house but when I brought it home it only stayed running for a couple of minutes. So I cleaned the carb, cleaned the exhaust, muffler, got a new throttle spring, spark plug, recoil rope, Filter-Fuel screen (612974), ignition coil and new air filter. Cleaned up the deck and sprayed it Grabber Green while I was waiting for all the parts to come. Looks great and I am very happy it turned out. It is amazing how light weight these mowers are.

Now the problem.....I have to leave the choke on to keep it from stalling. If I move the throttle to run it stalls pretty quickly. I have adjusted the idle needle first from lock half a turn out then 2 turns out. Then I tried adjusting the Air Vane to speed up the engine then slow down the engine. I am using Lawn Boy Ashless oil mixed at 1:32. One can to 2 gallons. The guy had 5 can's left that he gave me. I was told I might have to reclean the carb. Hope that is all it was.

Here are a few pictures:

impalass

Threads
The main jet might be partial block so take off the carb and have a look and also check the needle valve and seat. At the same check the fuel line and see if the gas runs freely.

WhyZed

Threads
Just got this 1994 Lawn Boy Gold Series Commercial Mower for $50 on Craiglist.

Now the problem.....I have to leave the choke on to keep it from stalling. If I move the throttle to run it stalls pretty quickly. I have adjusted the idle needle first from lock half a turn out then 2 turns out. Then I tried adjusting the Air Vane to speed up the engine then slow down the engine. I am using Lawn Boy Ashless oil mixed at 1:32. One can to 2 gallons. The guy had 5 can's left that he gave me. I was told I might have to reclean the carb. Hope that is all it was.

Congrats on the mower, a very good deal :thumbsup:

I have a Yamaha 2 stroke water pump that is doing the same thing.
I think it is dirt/gum in the main jet orifices, I just haven't found time to dig into it yet.

Be very very careful with fuel near that new paint, don't ask me how I know (the hard way).

fire1hawk

Forum Newbie
Threads

I think it is dirt/gum in the main jet orifices, I just haven't found time to dig into it yet.

Be very very careful with fuel near that new paint, don't ask me how I know (the hard way).

Well now I have to ask you how. What happened????

WhyZed

Threads

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

Are you saying that fuel caused the paint to peel (see other thread on the LB 6277)?

I would think that fuel gets spilled on those tanks all the time without causing any problem at all. :confused2:

WhyZed

Threads
Are you saying that fuel caused the paint to peel (see other thread on the LB 6277)?

I would think that fuel gets spilled on those tanks all the time without causing any problem at all. :confused2:

Yes my friend, the new paint hasn't cured yet and is very very susceptible to solvents :ashamed:
I've had this newly painted tank in the sun for a week, apparently a week shy. :thumbdown:

Trust me (the hard way for me) gas will crinkle the paint...

couloir007

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used to work with lawnboy's many years ago, and I'm looking to pick one up used. I'm not sure the year, but it is a 10415. What would be a good price for one with the assumption that it runs well?

Thank you.

couloir007

Forum Newbie
Threads
I used to work with lawnboy's many years ago, and I'm looking to pick one up used. I'm not sure the year, but it is a 10415. What would be a good price for one with the assumption that it runs well?

Thank you.

It turns out to be a 91 or 92. Runs, but could probably use a tune up. Sounds like it hasn't had much use for a few years, but was well cared for. Is buying a 20 year old used lawnboy worth $100? This is my question.

Thank you.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It turns out to be a 91 or 92. Runs, but could probably use a tune up. Sounds like it hasn't had much use for a few years, but was well cared for. Is buying a 20 year old used lawnboy worth $100? This is my question.

Thank you.

The 10415 is a very fine mower that will give you many years of service. You could do much worse for $100. But that price seems a bit high to me -- unless it's in really great condition -- which it's not from what I can gather.

It's not a collectible just a good mower. So don't think of it as something that can be re-sold at a profit.

Is the compression good? Any cracks in the deck? How are the cables? How about the wheels (that is one of the first things to go -- they shouldn't be wobbly at all)?

I might add that prices vary quite a bit by region. Supply and demand for LBs creates a buyers' market in places like the mid-west -- a sellers' market here in the south. I don't know about New England.

Let us know what you do.