Just heard today that Black and Decker / Stanley bought MTD

Mower King

Threads
  • / Just heard today that Black and Decker / Stanley bought MTD
I don't know if it's 100% truth but....I heard today that Black and Decker / Stanley just bought MTD.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
In 2019 B-D purchased 20% of MTD and part of that agreement was they had the option of purchasing the other 80% on July 1 of this year. So I would say it is a true statement.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hmmm... be interesting to what they do.
Wondering if they will keep the Craftsman name and eliminate some of the other brand names produced by MTD or do away with the Craftsman name all together.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I have a feeling they'll keep the crapsman name, just because of how long it's been around and the possible "sentimental" value people associate with the name...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wondering if they will keep the Craftsman name and eliminate some of the other brand names produced by MTD or do away with the Craftsman name all together.
Well that will depend if MTD actually own the name or they make the mower for another entity or use the name under license .
Remember what they taught you in high schools about the wonders of the free market economy with lots of suppliers all inovating & competing for ou business driving developement up & prices down .
Are things starting to look like a bad episode of Get Smart where the "evil empire" owns everything ?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well that will depend if MTD actually own the name or they make the mower for another entity or use the name under license .
Remember what they taught you in high schools about the wonders of the free market economy with lots of suppliers all inovating & competing for ou business driving developement up & prices down .
Are things starting to look like a bad episode of Get Smart where the "evil empire" owns everything ?
B-D/Stanley owns Craftsman tools, and MTD because the exclusive manufacturer of Craftsman lawn equipment in 2019 according to what I have read

Dave in MD

Threads
Well when they bought Delta wood working, they sold that section to China, they took Porter Cable and took it from top of the line pro tools to harry homeowner line.