John Deere Z345R won’t crank :(

andwilk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

Went to start my Z345R this past weekend and it would not crank. I have already successfully used it this year with no problems. It is less than 2 years old and I have already checked the battery for voltage (reading just over 12 volts) and the fuse box looks fine. Not sure what the problem could be or what I could do about it. Any help would be appreciated!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Got to JD & buy the JD technical manual
It will make you an over night JD magican
The ones in my run seem to undo the ground straps regularly till I got a center punch out & deformed the nut

andwilk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got to JD & buy the JD technical manual
It will make you an over night JD magican
The ones in my run seem to undo the ground straps regularly till I got a center punch out & deformed the nut
Thanks, I will check out the technical manual. Can you explain more about what you mean for the ground straps? Could this be a source of the engine not cranking?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The cable that goes from the battery - terminal to the engine .
Usually mounted to the top of one of the engine mount bolts with a nut on top
Nut comes loose

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
put the volt meter on the battery and read it when you turn the key to start. It is not uncommon for a battery to read 12V under no load, then go way below that when cranked when it is at the end of its battery life. The ground strap suggestion Bert made would cause the problem too.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is not uncommon for a battery to read 12V under no load, then go way below that when cranked when it is at the end of its battery life.
New batteries do that at every crank. What chew talkin' bout Willis?