John Deere Z335E won’t start

wcorley

Forum Newbie
Threads
My John Deere Z335e won’t start. I had been jump starting the battery before mowing the last month until it completely died. I went and bought a brand new battery and replaced it and it still won’t start. I checked the starter silonoid with my multimeter. It seems to be working just fine. I checked the new battery with multimeter as well. Battery is fine. I did a voltage drop test on the cable that runs to the starter. It read between 10 to 11 volts. I’m not sure that I know how to read the Voltage drop test or how many volts should be being supplied to the started from this cable. Can anyone help me with this?
Thank you
Will

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay don't how you are doing the voltage test but do this with meter's positive lead on the battery's positive post and the negative at the starter battery cable you should be near zero volts dropped. if higher voltage is found then you have problem the positive circuit to the starter. Next do a test across the starter with the positive lead at the battery on the starter and negative lead on the starter you should be seeing nearly the full battery voltage if not try check from the starter housing to the negative battery terminal again should be nearly zero. IF higher than you have a grounding problem.

Note these test are doing with the ignition held in start position,

wcorley

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay thank you I did the first test.
Multimeter positive lead to positive battery post. Multimeter negative lead to starter battery cable.Without turning the key I am measuring 12 volts. Once I turn the key like I’m trying to start the mower the reading on the multimeter changes to 1 volt measured. Is this considered a voltage drop?

Bertrrr

Threads
Sounds like you have a starter problem, pull it and jump 12 volts directly to it --- hold on tight b/c the torque will make it jump big time, if it does not , you got a bad starter.