John Deere X324 runs then dies

smalltowntex

Threads
Whoever it may help. I had a thread on another forum. It has closed but maybe this will help someone.
John Deere XX324 I bought new. Run pretty good for a few years then one season it died while cutting grass. In a few minutes it fired back up like nothing ever happened. Didn't happen again the rest of the season. (this has been going on for a while) Next year it started in again only more often. Probably did it 7-8 times thru season. I would just let it cool down and everything was fine, at least for a while. Next season last year it was a PITA. Happened rather frequent. Always considered myself pretty handy but never tried to make a living at it. Worked and piddled with it and finally took it to John Deere. They milked me for all it was worth and then told me it was fixed. They didn't do anything...they just said it was fixed. I didn't make 2 rounds and it did it again. I did everything under the sun. ELectric fuel pump, new gas lines, carb solenoid, )no new igniter module though) and you name it , I did it.
It was not running out of gas, it was losing spark.
I will spare you fellows the rest of the story but you get the idea. I got to looking here and there with my gee whiz circuit tester and it all led me to a little black box up by the hour meter.
My problem all along was the "electronic control unit". They "say" this can go bad when you jump start (I never did) and one reason after another. It is always something else, not their faulty design.
So, a $100 later I am out on the yard again wearing an IPANA smile you wouldn't believe. It is a good feeling when you beat the system, stay out of the pro's repair shop, and manage to fix it yourself.
I just wish I had tinkered and seen the little black box earlier.
I hope this helps someone. Nothing like a little help along the way.
smalltowntex

TourNut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I also have a X324 , 2010 yr. . mine also dies seemingly for no reason , but early on I noticed the fuel filter having gotten empty some how & like the fuel pump had lost it's prime & was only sucking air . I replaced the pump with a better quality one ( metal , re - buildable ) & repositioned filter in a vertical position so exit , " to the pump " hose was at the filter bottom . That was working all this season until today , when It died 3 times , filter empty all 3 times . I have a "T' above the filter with a small vertical hose with a cap , to fill filter with gas again . I am going out , in a while , to see if I can determine a better route for the gas line to gravity-feed the filter . I don't know WHY the pump had to be mounted so high , it's like it has to constantly fight gravity & losing it's prime ? ! Might mount it lower somehow , ( I know it's getting crankcase air pulses to work a diaphragm )

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
TourNut.
Please do not hy-jack another thread it just s get confusing.
TRy an alternaive fuel tank
Most common reason for this happening is debris that is floating in the fuel tank forming a plug blocking off the fuel tank outlet.
Next comes a faulty fuel cap not allowing air to enter the tank.
No air in = no fuel out .

TourNut

Forum Newbie
Threads
TourNut.
Please do not hy-jack another thread it just s get confusing.
TRy an alternaive fuel tank
Most common reason for this happening is debris that is floating in the fuel tank forming a plug blocking off the fuel tank outlet.
Next comes a faulty fuel cap not allowing air to enter the tank.
No air in = no fuel out .
Wasn't "hy-jacking " this thread since I am messing around with the fuel system like the guy in the first post did ! also with the same issue , a J D X324 just suddenly dying . I might find mine has the little black box problem too , who knows ? I'm just relaying what I discovered , so far , with this miserable issue . ( I don't need to be immediately jumped on ! )

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
TourNut,
We love solving problems here and we would love to help you fix your problem.
Smalltowntex posted the outcome of his trial by Deere which was not a fuel related problem.

You would appear to have a fuel related problem which hopefully is not related to the OP's problem except in that you both have the same model mower.
So what happens now is dozens of people will now join in what should have been a closed thread with suggestions for you that bear no connection to the original post.
This then becomes very confusing , particularly in the future when people who have a problem start searching for a solution .

OTOH if you discover that your problem was the black box all along then a description of your mowers symptoms that were cured by replacing the black box would be most helpful to other JD owners.

If you came here looking for help then it would be a lot easier for you to search JD X324 and see 15 individual threads where a 1/2 dozen problems were diagnosed & repaired that to find only 4 threads with 5 pages of rambling unconnected posts where 4 or more different , unrelated problems were being mentioned at the same time with replies leap frogging over each other . I just gets confusing .

All we try to do is keep things clear , simple & concise which makes it easier for people like your good self to work out what is wrong & get off the computer & back onto the grass .

So people like your good self, get asked politely to start a fresh thread where they have the sole problem being dealt with and their problem can get the full attention of forum members.

smalltowntex

Threads
I also have a X324 , 2010 yr. . mine also dies seemingly for no reason , but early on I noticed the fuel filter having gotten empty some how & like the fuel pump had lost it's prime & was only sucking air . I replaced the pump with a better quality one ( metal , re - buildable ) & repositioned filter in a vertical position so exit , " to the pump " hose was at the filter bottom . That was working all this season until today , when It died 3 times , filter empty all 3 times . I have a "T' above the filter with a small vertical hose with a cap , to fill filter with gas again . I am going out , in a while , to see if I can determine a better route for the gas line to gravity-feed the filter . I don't know WHY the pump had to be mounted so high , it's like it has to constantly fight gravity & losing it's prime ? ! Might mount it lower somehow , ( I know it's getting crankcase air pulses to work a diaphragm )
TourNut,
OK, here goes and bear with me. I have lived this problem you are having and I can see how easy one can get sidetracked. When the fuel filter is on the vacuum side, there will only be enough fuel in the filter to keep it running. But it is ENOUGH fuel, trust me. I put a new fuel pump on my mower...same thing...electric pump...it still would die. I did manage to isolate by problem to losing the "spark". I would try isolating that part of it first.
If you have indeed lost "spark" when it dies, you can eliminate all the other things fuel related you had thought of. It is possible it is a safety switch but, you might just consider removing the Electronic Control Unit...just one 10mm bolt holds it in up by the hour meter. bout half as big as a pack of cigarettes and 8-10 wires going to it. Mine had a DATE on a sticker (along with the part #) and it was the original.
You can go ahead and test the ignition transformers while you are troubleshooting but I would suggest a careful approach. I spent a ton of money trying to figure out the same problem, even a trip to the John Deere shop and let them work on it, I just knew they would be able to get it going. Not! So, tread slowly, isolate the problem when it dies again, if it is the spark, you can eliminate half of your possibilities right there.
Good Luck
smalltowntex

TourNut

Forum Newbie
Threads
TourNut,
OK, here goes and bear with me. I have lived this problem you are having and I can see how easy one can get sidetracked. When the fuel filter is on the vacuum side, there will only be enough fuel in the filter to keep it running. But it is ENOUGH fuel, trust me. I put a new fuel pump on my mower...same thing...electric pump...it still would die. I did manage to isolate by problem to losing the "spark". I would try isolating that part of it first.
If you have indeed lost "spark" when it dies, you can eliminate all the other things fuel related you had thought of. It is possible it is a safety switch but, you might just consider removing the Electronic Control Unit...just one 10mm bolt holds it in up by the hour meter. bout half as big as a pack of cigarettes and 8-10 wires going to it. Mine had a DATE on a sticker (along with the part #) and it was the original.
You can go ahead and test the ignition transformers while you are troubleshooting but I would suggest a careful approach. I spent a ton of money trying to figure out the same problem, even a trip to the John Deere shop and let them work on it, I just knew they would be able to get it going. Not! So, tread slowly, isolate the problem when it dies again, if it is the spark, you can eliminate half of your possibilities right there.
Good Luck
smalltowntex
I just looked for a ECM up by the hour meter - was not there or anywhere I could look , maybe mine being 2010 is a difference . I do see fuel line coming out the top of the tank instead of the bottom , I am going to create a bottom feed , like a motorcycle or simple lawnmower , that will be the same level as I can re-mount the filter so gravity can help for a change , without an air lock in the high gas line to the filter , if the filter stays filled that way , the pump can then handle the vertical hose from the filter , my filter refill tests prove that .

smalltowntex

Threads
Ok TourNut,
One thing before you try that. You might try putting the filter on the pressure (or outlet) side of the fuel pump and see what happens about your fuel level in the filter. Mine JD draws fuel out the top of the tank also and of course the vent goes back to the tank just an inch or two away. That fuel level in the filter can really throw a guy. Don't know what to tell you about where the ECU is on yours, mine is a 2013. Hope you get it figured out.
Good luck. Just take it easy and methodical. Try and isolate if it is running out of fuel or the spark. THen you will be on the right track.. Easy to say, sometimes hard to do.
Smalltowntex
Tournut...think about this a bit. The mower has been running all this time the way it was, changing the fuel to a gravity feed isn't going to help you in my opinion. Not trying to get you stirred up but just take a deep breath and analyze what is going on. If it run before, it oughta run now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The easiest way to work out if it is a fuel or spark problem is to remove the hood ( it is basically ornamental ) .
Fit a pair of red in line spark testers ( so you can see them in the daylight ) then go mow.
If they keep on glowing while the engine is dieing then your problem is fuel related .
OTOH if they flash irratically or stop glowing all together when the engine is playing up then you have an electrical problem .

On the particular filter you are using the outlet tube extends almost to the end of the paper element.
Thus when hung vertical you trap air in the dead end of the filter.
They are designed to be used horizontal .
You can install it backwards and it will fill completely.
Backwards or forwards makes no difference to the filter except that the crud collected will be inside the paper element so you can not see how much crud has been pulled out of the fuel .

If you look like your spark is the problem, first check that the fuel shut off solenoid is working properly
Then pull the kill wires off the coils and repeat the test mow.
Problem goes away = short or bad switch in the safety circuit
Problem remains = bad coils .
I don't want to sound preachy here but anyone who owns a JD that is giving them grief who has not bought the JD Technical Manual for their mower is smacking their head against a brick wall.
Not only do they have the most comprehensive trouble shooting section that has ever been published but they also have illustrations showing you exactly where every switch plug & even the ECU ( when fitted ) is hidden on the mower.