John Deere wont energize starter

wolfey01

Threads
I have a John Deere 180 with the Kawasaki engine. I changed out the dash with one from a donor tractor and after I connected the wires, I checked to make sure the engine would crank and lights, pto., etc would still work. Everything was fine. After buttoning up the dash. I tried to start and NOTHING! I have voltage to the relay, but it wont send current to the solenoid. A jumper wire from the red wire in the relay to the purple wire to the solenoid will energize the starter. I switched relays from a donor tractor with negative results. I would pull my hair out, but I'm already bald! Any thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The power to the purple wire is a daisy chain from the battery to the B terminal on the switch to the S terminal on the key switch to the pto switch to the brake switch to the solenoid.
Something in that loop is not passing the current through.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Will lights come on with key switch on? If not remove battery & take to any auto parts store & ask them to please load test your battery, free service will not cost you a dime. If you have to purchase a new battery make sure CCA'S are what is required per your Operators Manual. If your battery checks out good inspect all electrical connections by hand for being tight & secure especially ground straps & cables. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark
Shop around for a new battery with same CCA'S online for best price for your JD 180.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Depends if he got a hydro or gear transaxle.

1624753598304.png

wolfey01

Threads
Thanks for the help guys! I found a loose purple wire other than the one to the solenoid. spliced it with a red wire from the switch and viola! Appreciate all the help! Thanks again!