John Deere LX176 brake whines when brake locked down. Thoughts invited.

Sunsetjack1942

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere LX176 brake whines when brake locked down. Thoughts invited.
I recently had some work done on my great old LX176 - also replaced belts. Now I have a whine I've never had before, it's there when I leave it running (so, with park brake applied). Any advice (apart from selling it!) would be much appreciated.

D

Deleted member 97405

It's not the brakes. It's the hydro. Your neutral adjustment must be a tad off. It sounds like the hydro is slightly engaged when the brakes are locked. I've encountered this alot over the years. Its a simple adjustment. -OR- The metal piece, connected to the brake linkage that removed the belt tension when the brake is applied, is either broken or didnt get hooked back up when the belt was replaced. Or the hook broke off the tensioner arm. See the red circled area. I would look at this first. Start simple.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited by a moderator:

lugbolt

Threads
sometimes you'll get a little belt noise when the belt is disengaged (park brake on). It's usually just a somewhat high pitch sound. It's caused by the belt "grabbing" a little bit on the engine pulley while it's tension is removed. I heard it more right after putting new belt(s) on and it went away within a few hours' use. Usually.