John Deere LT190 drive belt issues - coming off when applying parking brake

zmattss

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere LT190 drive belt issues - coming off when applying parking brake
Last week the lawn mower stopped moving after I stopped briefly, and I saw that the drive belt was really loose and had come off of several pulleys. It was somewhat shredded and cracked all over so I ordered a new one (John Deere M144044). After a bit of research, I managed to figure out I can turn the mower on the side and get it fixed (I almost gave up, don't have jack stands or anything and it was stuck in the backyard). I ran into a few issues, like the Youtube videos for similar mowers are slightly different and I had to take off a really large spring for the mower deck height to get to the engine pulley, but I replaced it (specifically if you look at these parts https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/79415/referrer/navigation/pgId/2742587 the bracket #30 is a guide for the belt and it holds the extension spring #26, which took a ratchet strap to get back in place after).

Was working, but the parking brake feels a little weird. Like it has some play for the first 1-2 inches. If you look at the part #20 (https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/79415/referrer/navigation/pgId/2399744) that compression spring seemed to compress first before the whole idler part moves. And then we found out that apply the brake reduces tension enough for the belt to come off of the transmission pulley. We started using it, stopped and applied the brake and then couldn't move it again. I had to tip it over again and get the belt back on the pulleys (not as involved as the full replacement, but a PITA).

So I'm wondering if I just messed something up, or if there is something else that I should try to replace or fix or tighten. I'm really not very experienced with engine repairs but I'll try things like this if I can get enough instructions online. We'd like to keep this old mower running at least a few more years if possible.

Also, as a side note, when I tipped the mower over, I had removed the battery and pinched the fuel line after the filter using vice grips wrapped in some latex glove to hopefully avoid damaging the hose with the metal from the pliers. But there was still something black leaking which smelled like gas. Looking at the part diagrams I believe it was coming out of the Fuel Pump (https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/79415/referrer/navigation/pgId/2347663), where I had pinched the hose #7 but nothing else. If I have to tip it over again, how do I avoid spilling oil/gas all over? Like do I need to pinch off/close something else, or is this a leak and I need to replace it? The mower is due for an oil change, which I hope to get around to doing soon.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do yourself a massive favour & buy the technical manual for your mower from JD.
Next time remove the deck , I usually stand the mowers up on their back wheels but if that can not be accomodated then buy yourself some axel stands, they are about the same price as a belt .
If your belt shredded then there is a problem and the service manual will show you have to locate it.
Take photos before you start & every time you take some thing off so you know where it went
And from your description the drive clutch tension spring is in the wrong place
If you have a strong pencil beam torch have a look around the frame rail
The correct anchor point will be polished up shinny and often if it is a hole will have worn a slight keyhole

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The removing belt tension assembly has an adjustable flat idler it is moved the remove excessive belt slack.
1685276882537.png

I never tip a riding mower over as I just take off the deck and raise the front end so I have enough clearance for my fat body to get under the mower.

zmattss

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I did have to remove the deck, I just didn't have anything on hand to work under it so tipping mostly worked.
I don't think I messed up the placement of the springs. The points where they fit are pretty obvious.
But that idler diagram seems to be exactly what I need! Looks like I should just loosen the pulley and move it to get a bit more tension. Very likely I unintentionally loosened the belt by moving the idler when I loosened the pulley the first time to get the guide out of the way (that slot is not really visible from below the mower and I did not study the parts diagram to see it). Thank you so much!