John Deere L130 No Start/ No Crank

Jordanw68

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just picked up a John Deere L130. The seller said it needed a battery and a tune up so I took a chance on it. Replaced the battery and it will not crank. Checked fuses and general wiring condition is all good. I touched the two terminals on the starter solenoid attached to the starter together and starter will spin but not engage the flywheel. Replaced starter and it does the same thing. So I then ran a jumper wire from the small spade terminal on the solenoid directly to the positive battery. With the key in run position the mower cranks and runs if the jumper wire is used. What controls the smaller spade terminal? And is there a way to jump this from the key switch? Thanks for any help you can provide

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Thats the trigger wire, when it gets juice from the key switch it powers the solenoid up and then power can pass through the solenoid to the starter. Now that trigger wire runs through safety switches, seat, brake, pto.

Jordanw68

Forum Newbie
Threads
So it could be any of the switches or wiring? If I run it “hot” to key start position to override the problem will that cause any damage? Or is that even possible?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems odd that it will keep running if there's a break in the safety wiring circuit. When you turn the key to start do you get a click or any response at all?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF voltage is reaching the trigger terminal of solenoid with the key switch in start position and the starter solenoid attempts to operate install device. (details edited out)

Last edited: