John Deere JS30

jerrycmorrow

Threads
Bought a used John Deere JS30 last year. This year the belt gave up. Trying to figure out how to install the new one without taking it apart. Looks like at the least the top of the idler will have to come off but not for certain. Anyone got an IPL and/or a shop manual they'd be willing to share? Be nice to actually be able to order parts when needed..
Also, anyone know who manufactured the JS30? Can't find that anywhere.

jerrycmorrow

Threads
To update: I found a service manual which showed belt routing.
Routing is as: starting at the crank pulley the belt goes through a deck opening to the back of the machine, then to the "ground speed idler pulleys and then to the transmission drive pulley (idler and pulley are on the back deck). I guess, based on my answer, its a deck drive belt.
Installed belt following diagram and when I started it, NO belt movement at all. I can hear the crank pulley whistling but no belt movement. Took new belt off and can rotate all pulleys/idlers by hand easily.
Been doing lawn mowers and small engines for years but never ran across this problem. Whatever it is may be why the original belt broke; looked like it broke where wrapped around the crank. Something is hung up; obviously.

Attachments

• belt routing.jpg
    belt routing.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 11

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Those 2 idlers are what put tension on the belt to move the tractor. One idler should move when you press the pedal to put tension on the belt and make it tight.

Chainsaw Doctor

Forum Newbie
Threads
Those 2 idlers are what put tension on the belt to move the tractor. One idler should move when you press the pedal to put tension on the belt and make it tight.
Again with the tractor....you are not looking at the model #. JS30!