John Deere hydro question

catman606

Threads
I've been mower shopping since there are some to pick from finally. I'm looking at a X350 48" cut that says K46 hydrostatic intergrated with transaxle and a S240 that says K46 heavy duty hydrostatic two wheel drive. Are these the same set up? The intergrated part has me confused. Both have the Kawasaki engine, same deck, so if the transmissions are the same, I may save a few bucks and go with the S240. I've googled but can't really find an answer, I figure you guys will know!

Lawn Addict
Threads
(bump). Good question, I think some experts will be along hopefully soon.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Integrated means the pump, wheel motor and differential are all made in one unit that drives both wheels. Both of the units are two wheel drive. The differential allows the rear wheel on the inside of the turn to turn slower that the wheel on the outside of the turn so it won't push the mower straight when you try to turn. A IZT on a zero turn does not have a differential as the hydros work independent of each other and the speed of the wheels are controlled by the operator.

catman606

Threads
Integrated means the pump, wheel motor and differential are all made in one unit that drives both wheels. Both of the units are two wheel drive. The differential allows the rear wheel on the inside of the turn to turn slower that the wheel on the outside of the turn so it won't push the mower straight when you try to turn. A IZT on a zero turn does not have a differential as the hydros work independent of each other and the speed of the wheels are controlled by the operator.
I understand what you're saying, I was just curious if on the S240 the hydro and the differential were two units connected with a belt?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No
The only difference , if there is one at all is a non integrated transmission can have a single direction hydro ( so only a go pedal ) with a manual F-N-R shifter.
But I have not seen that set up for some long time .

DIFDF4

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been mower shopping since there are some to pick from finally. I'm looking at a X350 48" cut that says K46 hydrostatic intergrated with transaxle and a S240 that says K46 heavy duty hydrostatic two wheel drive. Are these the same set up? The intergrated part has me confused. Both have the Kawasaki engine, same deck, so if the transmissions are the same, I may save a few bucks and go with the S240. I've googled but can't really find an answer, I figure you guys will know!
I'm looking to buy a new mower too and have the same questions that were never answered completely.

I mow about 2 to 2-1/2 acres of old farm pasture. I go back and forth trying to decide on an S240/48" or an X350/48".

Can anyone make a recommendation?

Thanks!