John Deere E130 vs Cub xt2

Nate and jj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone,

I need your help with which mower you would choose and why. I've narrowed to these 2. Property is under an acre with a very small hill section.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m thinking you may be comparing apples to apples here. I know that MTD builds the lawn tractors for Cub and they also build the non commercial tractors for John Deere. They may be the same unit with different color paint. Can’t tell without seeing the ID tags for both units.

Nate and jj

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thx they do seem very similar.
Also am considering husqrvana ts 46xd has a locking differential for couple hundred more.

Matty74

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m thinking you may be comparing apples to apples here. I know that MTD builds the lawn tractors for Cub and they also build the non commercial tractors for John Deere. They may be the same unit with different color paint. Can’t tell without seeing the ID tags for both units.

Just hold it right there. Stop giving out bad information

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We did have a chap on here a while back who worked at the JD plant that made the 100 series mowers and he posted photos of the production line.
Looks like they make another brand there as well as there were black painted mowers in the background.
JD used to make the 4000 series Honda ride ons.
That I do know because the compliance plate clearly reads "made in the John Deere Horizcon plant exclusively for Honda USA.

Prior to the JD worker I would have bet my testicles that the 100 series came out of the AYP factory as AYP parts interchage with it and the frames are identical, same unused holes in the same places.
Now it might be that the main frame pressings are bought in.
Don't know but they are definately the same design although the JD frame is thicker steel.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 100 series mower are assembled in a JD factory. Since these mowers are designed to directly compete with box store nowers they are made from nearly all off the shelf parts that are the same as the box store mowers. They bring in parts, paint them green and put them together. Some made to their spec, others just stock items. The more spec parts the higher the cost. Just how it works to compete for the low end marketshare. Lower end box store mower manufacturers depend on volume sales to be profitable. Any product designed to be the lowest cost in its class will be designed to meet a price point and not a level of quality.

gotomow

Threads
AYP only exists in the parts diagrams, as it no longer a stand alone company. This should clear up any notion of AYP: Todays mower article
The Cubs and 100 series JD's contain zero parts that are alike.

cruzenmike

Threads
The XT2 has more premium features like armrests, stronger battery, grippier tires, possibly better transmission? and a longer warranty.

I assume that you are shopping the E130 against the LX42? If that is the case, get the LX42 and don't look back. At $2000 msrp it's likely the best new mower you can get for the price. But, if I were you, I would spend the extra $700 and get a John Deere X330 which will outlast both the E130 and LX42 while having the longest warranty and higher resale value in 5 or even 10 years should you decide to upgrade.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
AYP only exists in the parts diagrams, as it no longer a stand alone company. This should clear up any notion of AYP: Todays mower article
The Cubs and 100 series JD's contain zero parts that are alike.
Quite correct.
Some Cub Cadet mowers are still made at the old standalone Cub factory
The rest are made at the MTD factory
AFAIK there is no connection between MTD & AYP
And yes AYP is owned by Husqvarna but still trades as AYP