JOHN DEERE D160

FALTOBELLI

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi I own a JOHN DEERE D160 MOWER WITH BRIGGS AND STRATTON ENGINE. I LIKE TO KNOW WHAT IS THE BEST FUEL FOR THIS MACHINE. A MECHANIC FRIEND ADVISED ME TO ALWAYS USE SUPER UNLEADED, OR AT LEAST FUEL THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN ETHANOL. JOHN DEERE RECOMMENDS REGULAR FUEL WITH NO MORE THAN 10% ETHANOL. i WOULD LIKE TO FOLLOW MY FRIEND ADVICE, BUT SUPER IS 15 CENTS MORE PER LITER. DOES ANYONE KNOW? THANKS IN ADVANCE. FRANK

Douglasdzaster

Threads
I run none ethanol what ever octane is available (at least 89). As far as super unleaded i still has ethanol. The only time super is required is for high performance engines. I still run it in my 2cycle equipment. The main thing is the ethanol. Don’t buy more fuel than your going to use usually within about 2 months. Don’t let the mower sit for an extended period with ethanol fuel in it. Ethanol breaks up gunk in fuel tanks that can end up in your fuel system. It also attracts water. And over time separates and goes to the bottom which is where the fuel pick up is and will corrode any metal parts in carburetors etc. I use a fuel additive like stable marine if I have to buy ethanol fuel and have had less problems. Long story short keep your fuel fresh.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I use regular (89) in my personal equipment and use StarTron stabilizer, i haven't had an ethanol related issue with my personal equipment in years. i have a fuel cutoff valve installed on all my equipment, and run it dry if it's going to sit for awhile.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
I use regular (89) in my personal equipment and use StarTron stabilizer, i haven't had an ethanol related issue with my personal equipment in years. i have a fuel cutoff valve installed on all my equipment, and run it dry if it's going to sit for awhile.
Glad to here that I just recently switched to Star Tron and was hoping it was a good idea.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the top
There are two big problems with fuels
1) they go off over time
2) ethanol can separate out in the presence of water

Now if you buy it in small amounts and use it quickly then no problem
If you live a long way away from the fuel station and buy in large quantities then store it, they become problems.

There are so many variables that control how long petrol will stay fresh I would be here all day listing & explaining them.
Next there is how fresh the fuel is in the tanks at the fuel station.

Finally there is no point in putting anything in your mower engine above regular of standard fuel .
The engine will not go any better on 110 octane than it does on 89 or 91 .

During high summer when you are mowing every week the ethanol will be fine
During the off season when the mower sits for weeks and there is a lot of water around ethanol IS a problem so regular is the go.

However freshness also comes into play so my advice is to check with the attendant and ask what they sell the most of.
Use that in season because it will be the freshest.
In the off season go for what ever non ethanol fuel they sell more of & / or pop some stabilizer in the tank
If it is going to be a month or more then run the engine dry & keep the fuel tank topped up to full.
The water that ends up doing damage comes from the air.
No air in the tank = no water in the fuel .