John Deere D130 Blades still turning after disengagement.

J.D.G.

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / John Deere D130 Blades still turning after disengagement.
Purchased @ Lowes in 2015,inherited by me in 2020. 86.1 hrs. Replaced both spindles, pulleys, blade & belt. At disengagement & deck height set @ "4 the blades turn with full authority. Engaging/dis-engaging makes no difference in load/rpm. Adjust deck height to the lower settings(3' or below) the blades slow down & stop turning @ 1". Removed deck & noticed that brake contact event was not simultaneous on spindle pulleys. Brake pads looked 90/95%, very little wear. Remove spring & ordered & installed LH brake rod(GX26333), threaded @ end to allow adj. Pully brake now engage pully & pull away simultaneously with more "contact" @ event. Also installed a new JD belt. Still, no change.
So, I'm @ my ropes end here. What have I inherited? Is there something I'm missing here?

Attachments

• IMG_1577 (3).JPG
    IMG_1577 (3).JPG
    789.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1590 (3).JPG
    IMG_1590 (3).JPG
    1,013.1 KB · Views: 3

J.D.G.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Contacted the previous owners friends/family & associates. At purchase(2015) the deck had a issue with throwing belts @ disengagement & mower went to "authorized" JD dealer for warranty work. Apparently problem solved. Issue never arose according to people mentioned above. So the flip side is, was a smaller belt installed to fix initial issue? The current belt is the belt for that year & model but exhibits the characteristics of a belt too small. Considering going with larger belt but the "throwing of belt" event returning is a possibility. Really need some experienced insight on this & would be much appreciated. If your advise solves the problem, hell, I'll even buy you a burger(via usps).

J.D.G.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Found the problem! Apparently that "authorized" JD service dept indulged in "Chicken $h*t engineering" & put a hose clamp made in China on the PTO travel stop within the dash. Brakes never had a chance to engage with spindle pully. Removed & TA DA! Blades stop with authority @ any deck height setting. Fast forward to Monday morn. Whataburger with extra onions/jalapenos, Lucky Strike cigarettes' & absolutely no dental hygiene & a big HHhhello to Kid whiz @ the JD service dept.

Attachments

• IMG_1627 (2).JPG
    IMG_1627 (2).JPG
    954.9 KB · Views: 5

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
So they ran it for 5 years with the blades running full time? I do some oddball fixes but I don't think I'd even pull that stunt.

J.D.G.

Forum Newbie
Threads
So they ran it for 5 years with the blades running full time? I do some oddball fixes but I don't think I'd even pull that stunt.
10-4. When I was clearing the estate in January I found 2 garden hoses chopped to shreds. That should have been my 1st clue.