John Deere D105 - Advice Needed

porkweez

Forum Newbie
Threads
My D105 has had trouble going uphill... getting worse until last week. Even a gradual incline, it just sits and 'tries' while I press gas pedal, but no wheel movement. Sometimes I can let off the pedal and when I press it goes 12". One hill I did 89 presses to inch my way up the hill. So Saturday I replaced the drive belt, which was in bad shape. But, that didn't solve the problem. I've removed the body and gas tank to get at trans. Removed both variators, inspected and checked movement... cleaned everywhere and tested moving parts. (FYI, the secondary variator was replaced at a shop 2 years ago. It looks fine.) I see no damage, cracks, or issues. After cleaning and putting everything back yesterday, I tried a test drive. No improvement. Using multiple documents I've checked what they said to check,but what now? It's not feasible to replace each part 'hoping' I replace the right one. One paper from General Transmission says my problem is never caused by the transmission internals, but I almost wonder if I should buy the entire thing, which isn't cheap. [I checked the recall list; my VIN isn't on it.]
I don't mind doing the labor, but I'd sure like to know what to do next! Maybe someone reading this had the exact same issue and can tell me what you did.
All advice is appreciated!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m assuming that by variator you mean the variable speed pulley system, which uses two belts running on one shaft with a sliding pulley in the middle. If that is true, you need to replace both belts at the same time for best results.

porkweez

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok; changed the toothy trans belt, and thought all was fine. It ran well for an hour, then had some hill trouble the second hour, and finally barely hobbled to the shed to be put up. Very similar to what it was doing a week ago. Rats!

porkweez

Forum Newbie
Threads
(y)(y)(y)
FIXED! Yesterday I took it to a repair guy, who could tell something looked 'odd' on the secondary variator. He pulled out a new one from a box, and sure enough.... the top spring should be several inches longer! After pulling my variator apart, he deduced that heat build up had froze the spring in its compressed position. (I had no idea what it 'should' look like; even schematics make it look shorter than it really is.) He put on a new spring, with greater effort and force than I'd needed when checking it before, and the mower runs like new! I think I remember a big stick getting jammed up there one time... maybe it forced the belt against that spring and friction heat built up. Anyway, case closed for $60. Thanks for the great feedback!