John Deere C-Clip replacement (M120267)

jshep1102

Threads
Hi gang, I have a john deere D100 with a spicer transmission AM134770. The c clip (part number 41 in the attached picture) that holds the pinion gear onto the output shaft broke so I could take the output shaft and pulley out of the top of the transmission. Pretty sure it's not supposed to do that. :) I found the c-clip part number (M120267) and ordered it from 2 separate vendors who both cancelled the order because they didn't have the part and they both said it was no longer available. I have one of those Harbor Freight kits with a billion c clips in it but none of them fit. I'm guessing it may be a metric c-clip? Anyone know a different part number for that c-clip or know a vendor who may have one in stock?
Thanks and Happy Holidays folks!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-12 8.19.39 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-12 8.19.39 PM.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 34

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Order Honda PN 90656-772-003 (90656-772-0030) which is the DanaSpicer PN 3624 which is the JD PN M120267.

jshep1102

Threads
I knew you guys would help. Happy the answer came so quickly. Thanks Star Tech!!! I'll go order it now.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For those that might question the crossing.

1670918718649.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No surprise
The 4000 series Honda Ride on were made at the Horicon Works and they do share quite a few components
I replaced the throttle on a HA 4120 which was NLA from Honda with a 300 series JD one

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The Dana 4360 series transaxle all the same snap ring so Murray and Husqvarna unit had them too but those PNs are listed as NLA too. Too bad that Dana never noted the snap ring size. Maybe the next time I tear down one these units or the Peerless models I need size the ring. If remember correctly both the Dana and the Peerless used the same shaft setup. Just don't many of them any more coming into the shop but I have one good unit in the shop that I pulled several years ago but no need to take it apart just get the snap size. I too lazy to do that when it not needing repair.

Still should be easy to figure out using a caliper but that something the OP has to do onsite.

jshep1102

Threads
I'll post the thickness, ID and OD when it arrives. Thanks again for the help.

D

Deleted member 97405

No surprise
The 4000 series Honda Ride on were made at the Horicon Works and they do share quite a few components
I replaced the throttle on a HA 4120 which was NLA from Honda with a 300 series JD one
The Honda HA4118 and HA4120 were made by Deere, but Honda put in their engine and hood. To my knowledge, those were the only 2 models. If there were more, let me know! I'd love to find one of these someday.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have 3 in my service run one of which I inherited because the owner would not let me do a full service on because he was old ( 92) and a "bloke could die before he got value from an expensive repair " so he used it on one cylinder till he died at 98 .
I replaced the left coil with one from a GXV because the GX is NLA and it runs faultlessly .
The latter model is taller so I needed to fit one longer magneto bolt & make up a new stud for the second magneto bolt as it doubles as the blower housing stud and was 1/4" higher because the coil is thicker .
I would imagine that there would be a few of them kicking around in the USA as few mechanics would bother doing that to get it running when the front office could sell the customer a new mower as his engine is obsolete .
PS the coils are definatley handed and can not be swapped .
I had a 5414 ( water cooled engine ) that I only serviced once before the customer subdivided and moved on
From memory it was identical to the 345 Deere with a red body.

jshep1102

Threads
The Dana 4360 series transaxle all the same snap ring so Murray and Husqvarna unit had them too but those PNs are listed as NLA too. Too bad that Dana never noted the snap ring size. Maybe the next time I tear down one these units or the Peerless models I need size the ring. If remember correctly both the Dana and the Peerless used the same shaft setup. Just don't many of them any more coming into the shop but I have one good unit in the shop that I pulled several years ago but no need to take it apart just get the snap size. I too lazy to do that when it not needing repair.

Still should be easy to figure out using a caliper but that something the OP has to do onsite.
I got the new c-clip today. I went to reassemble the rear end and when I dropped the output shaft back into the transaxle housing, I found the housing was "wallered out" (is that a real word or just my childhood WV lingo coming out?) and the shaft flopped around like a, uh, er, something that flops around a lot. Dang it! Gotta start looking for a replacement transaxle I guess. Probably just pull the engine and use it for a heart transplant into another mower. I got the mower for free so I can't complain.

For anyone interested in the dimensions of the new c-clip, it was 0.041" thick, 0.562" OD (9/16"), and 0.425" ID (17/40" which isn't really a fraction useful to anyone).

Again, thanks for all the help. I'm only out $10 because of my crappy evaluation of the scope of repairs before I ordered the c-clip.

Attachments

• KIMG4448 (1).JPG
    KIMG4448 (1).JPG
    859 KB · Views: 1