John Deere 915E troubles

sardonicus

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got one of these mowers with about 190 hours on it and just recently it started acting very strange. It's had regular maintenance and all that. It will start and run but it doesnt idle at the rpm that it usually does. If you engage the blades it bogs down considerably and doesnt reach cutting speeds until they've been running for several seconds. It also acts like its under a considerable load just moving itself around without the blades engaged. So my question is what would cause the mower to act as though its under a serious load at all times.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Running one one cylinder. Plug, Ign. module, carb issue. Pull each plug wire off one at a time and see if it dies if it does the other cylinder is the dead cylinder. Test the ignition module and see if it is firing.

sardonicus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. The plugs are new, and I just did a thorough clean job on the carb figuring maybe some gunkiness had built up in there after leaving gas in it over several winters - it was spotless inside, but the ignition module didnt even cross my mind. I will report back after I've checked on that.

winmod21

Threads
I've got one of these mowers with about 190 hours on it and just recently it started acting very strange. It's had regular maintenance and all that. It will start and run but it doesnt idle at the rpm that it usually does. If you engage the blades it bogs down considerably and doesnt reach cutting speeds until they've been running for several seconds. It also acts like its under a considerable load just moving itself around without the blades engaged. So my question is what would cause the mower to act as though its under a serious load at all times.
Have you checked the voltage on your battery? I've read about discharged batteries causing the same symptoms as you've described.

A fully charged battery should be 12.6v+ ; moreover, having your battery 'load tested' reveals the true condition of your battery, and many auto parts stores will 'load test' batteries for free, or so I've read.
Or if you have an assistant, you can also check your voltage— while engine is cranking/starting.

sardonicus

Forum Newbie
Threads
Confirmed that it was indeed an ignition coil that had failed. Took about a dozen phone calls to find a place locally that carried them but its back up and running now. Thank you again for your help.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Confirmed that it was indeed an ignition coil that had failed. Took about a dozen phone calls to find a place locally that carried them but its back up and running now. Thank you again for your help.
your welcome appreciate that glad to help