John Deere 445 oil soaked Air Filter

Northern Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
SO my 445 decided to start puking oil into the air box throttle body and is going through oil like crazy. I have been reading about it being either rings.... or a plugged vent? Where is this vent tube located on the kawi engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Behind the air cleaner is a tube about 1/2" diameter
Pull it off & go have a mow .
If the smoking stops then your problem is an over pressurised crankcase
If it continues to smoke then it is worn rings / hole in a piston .
Kawasakis have the worst air filters on their FS & FR range and a upgrade to the canister EngineAir / Donaldson style filter is highly recommended.
And this is 100 times worse if you bag

Northern Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
You mean under the air cleaner? There is the black tube that goes to the crankcase

Northern Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I took it off... dont even have to go mow... its blowing oil out of the tube like crazy!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is a reed valve in the crank case breather where the tube goes into it. If that reed is broken it can do the same thing.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need to do a little mowing or at least work the governor to open the throttle fully to check the exhaust for smoke
No smoke will be something leaking pressure into the engine like a cracked head, blown head gasket worn rings
Lots of smoke will be worn rings / hole in piston .
Double check the oil level & smell
A leaking float will allow fuel to get into the oil thinning it down causing it to bypass the rings
As HLW already mentioned, lots of oily fume coming out of breather can be a stuck reed valve
Lick your finger and place it near the tube
It should only blow if the valve is working
If it both blows & sucks then the valve is cactus

I have found kawasaki engines very prone to bore wear if the air filter is not 100%
My usual "test" is to stick my finger in the manifold after removing the carb
If there is a dusty paste deposited on the sides then worn bore is a certaincy
Good thing is all of them have responded to a quick hone & new rings
I have only ever had one Kawasaki engine blow ahead gasket internally
And that is on par with Honda
Kohlers seem to do about double that and of course B & S inteks at least 2 every season , best year was 22 out of around 300 total jobs a year

Northern Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well its still smoking since there is so much oil in the throtle body...I had to take the plug out of the rh cylinder since it was only running on the lh cylinder... it was covered in sludge. This isnt oily fume... its straight oil spraying out. My whole engine is coverd...

Northern Farmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks like I will be taking it into deere to see what they can do.. It aslo has a stuck diff lock on ... so they can figure that out to.