John Deere 345 gas running out over flow like float stuck

bjones

Threads
  • / John Deere 345 gas running out over flow like float stuck
Noticed gas coming out carb float overflow?? rubber hose from carb. that I assume was from stuck float. It would just drip a few drops nothing major for several months but mower ran fine and then it increased to the point where it wouldn't run, flooding. I assumed float was sticking. Took it to a LMower shop and guy removed carb to clean and he said carb was in bad repair from sometime in past (I bought it used)so ordered a new carb and installed. Still leaks small amount and will run but cut off after a few minutes, guy said it was like it was getting to much gas. Can cut the fuel shut off valve off and will run OK until all gas is gone from carb. Would it be necessary to set float on a new carb? Guy still trying to figure out the problem. Any suggestions, thanks.

Mower King

Threads
Noticed gas coming out carb float overflow?? rubber hose from carb. that I assume was from stuck float. It would just drip a few drops nothing major for several months but mower ran fine and then it increased to the point where it wouldn't run, flooding. I assumed float was sticking. Took it to a LMower shop and guy removed carb to clean and he said carb was in bad repair from sometime in past (I bought it used)so ordered a new carb and installed. Still leaks small amount and will run but cut off after a few minutes, guy said it was like it was getting to much gas. Can cut the fuel shut off valve off and will run OK until all gas is gone from carb. Would it be necessary to set float on a new carb? Guy still trying to figure out the problem. Any suggestions, thanks.
As far as the float setting, it would depend on what type of carb it is but, 99% of todays mower carbs, the floats are in a fixed position , so there is no float adjustment. A new O.E.M. carb is the way to go and not an "internet special"......most of the time!

bjones

Threads
This was not OEM, guy ordered it for like 50.00. U think the new carb is junk and would OEM solve the problem? Thanks for reply

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Is your gas tank clean? New fuel filter? Fuel lines clean?
I wonder if trash is getting in the carb and preventing the needle from fully closing.

bjones

Threads
Yea the tank is clean, all new lines and filter short time ago. Had carb cleaned about yr ago and guy initially thought trash in carb causing the gas to pour out overflow but when he removed carb he said it was clean, no trash. Wonder if new carb is bad, as I said it isn't oem?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The 345's are bad for fuel dripping out of the fuel pump vent. JD issues a new pump with a hose to route the fuel away from the muffler area because of fires. Remove the carb and flip it upside down and pressurize to 10 PSI and see if it holds pressure. If it does probably nit rhe carb leaking. Might try replacing the fuel pump with new style and see what happens. Since fuel pump is near carb folks sometimes mistake leak as coming from carb and not fuel pump.

Mower King

Threads
Yea the tank is clean, all new lines and filter short time ago. Had carb cleaned about yr ago and guy initially thought trash in carb causing the gas to pour out overflow but when he removed carb he said it was clean, no trash. Wonder if new carb is bad, as I said it isn't oem?
There is one thing about a carburetor, it only uses what's put through it. You can clean a carb and its just like new, put it on, and pour gas with water or trash in the tank and...WHAM, you got a carb problem all over again before you even try to start it.

bjones

Threads
The 345's are bad for fuel dripping out of the fuel pump vent. JD issues a new pump with a hose to route the fuel away from the muffler area because of fires. Remove the carb and flip it upside down and pressurize to 10 PSI and see if it holds pressure. If it does probably nit rhe carb leaking. Might try replacing the fuel pump with new style and see what happens. Since fuel pump is near carb folks sometimes mistake leak as coming from carb and not fuel pump.

I am sure the gas is coming from the port off of the carb. Has a small black rubber gas line hose coming off the carb and routed down under front of engine that I think is from the float bypass.

bjones

Threads
There is one thing about a carburetor, it only uses what's put through it. You can clean a carb and its just like new, put it on, and pour gas with water or trash in the tank and...WHAM, you got a carb problem all over again before you even try to start it.
I agree but old carb was clean per the guy that is working on it.

bjones

Threads
Went and picked up mower and guy couldn't figure it out. Mower will crank up and run Ok for a bit and cut off and gas still present at overflow line from float, I assume. Question: To eliminate the fuel pump being the issue, can I disconnect the fuel line just downstream of the fuel filter and run a line to a temporary jug or can and if mower runs OK this would indicate bad fuel pump. Will this theory work or does the fuel pump provide some needed pressure that the gravity flow wouldn't provide. Fuel pump from Amazon is only $18.00. Is my plan flawed? Thanks guys for the help.