john deere 316 onan p218g not charging any ideas

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
The bat light is staying on so i tested the 2 wires from stator where they hook to the rectifier and im showing 30-32 vac then i hooked them back up to the rectifier and pull the center wire off the rectifier and at the rectifier im showing 13.20 vdc but as soon as i hook the wire back to the rectifier it drops to 12. vdc. I just got this tractor it belonged to my dad whos no longer here and since he has been gone it hasnt been kept up with so now that i have it im bringing it back up to its original state which will include a complete restore after i have fixed every thing thats wrong with it. I dont currently have any books for it but there coming so i dont have a wiring schematic but doing some net research i am seeing that there is a time delay control module on this tractor which is a 1990 and i removed it hoping to see something bad on the board but it looks to be in great shape and i have read that it controls the charging on this tractor but i dont know for sure if it does or not. I have checked all the wire connections and they look to be good and clean this is also a new battery and it runs and operates like it should it just is not charging any help would be great

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have seen where John Deere installs a fuse to the voltage regulator you might want to check for this.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Going by the wiring diagram that I look at there is a 2Amp fuse in line with the discharge light control, it seems to be near the key switch, other then that replace the regulator.

xpackdals

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked for fuses in the lines and by the ignition and found none the only 2 i see are a 20 amp and a 3 amp push in type and they both check out good and im not sure what they are for.I dont understand why the voltage drops when i hook up the wire to the center of rectifier before the wire is hooked i get 13 plus vdc

bouty

Forum Newbie
Threads
The bat light is staying on so i tested the 2 wires from stator where they hook to the rectifier and im showing 30-32 vac then i hooked them back up to the rectifier and pull the center wire off the rectifier and at the rectifier im showing 13.20 vdc but as soon as i hook the wire back to the rectifier it drops to 12. vdc. I just got this tractor it belonged to my dad whos no longer here and since he has been gone it hasnt been kept up with so now that i have it im bringing it back up to its original state which will include a complete restore after i have fixed every thing thats wrong with it. I dont currently have any books for it but there coming so i dont have a wiring schematic but doing some net research i am seeing that there is a time delay control module on this tractor which is a 1990 and i removed it hoping to see something bad on the board but it looks to be in great shape and i have read that it controls the charging on this tractor but i dont know for sure if it does or not. I have checked all the wire connections and they look to be good and clean this is also a new battery and it runs and operates like it should it just is not charging any help would be great

I dont know if you still need help but i had the exact same problem and i even put a new stator and everything in, it turns out the fly wheel it had in it was the wrong fly wheel i dont know if yours will be the same. It had a green flywheel in it and we happened to score a free stock flywheel that came off a family members tractor and that was black, i swapped them and now she runs good as new