John Deere 112 Wont Go In To Gear

brinkkl2000

Threads
am working on an old 112 that will just grind the gear when trying to shift in from neutral. I have pulled off the belts, did not replace as they look fine, and made sure the variator was moving freely and put some lube on the center shaft to make sure it continues to slide. I have adjusted the clutch pedal/ variator per the manual. I have verified that the variator is working as it should while the engine is running, the belts are moving up and down the sheave respectively. When I start the engine and the clutch is depressed I can shift in to any gear, however, once I have done that and I push in the clutch, it will not fully release. The engine to var. belt will continue to spin and I can now not put it in to any gear. I can shut down the engine and do the process over again and it will work fine. I can only shift in to a gear from the first start of the engine. I cant quite tell if the adjustment is moving when pressing down on the clutch, but I have that bolt as tight as I can and the clutch is returning all the way up. What else could be my problem?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You may have a belt that is too short or need to move the transaxle to the forward position. Basically the primary belt isn't slipping when the clutch is depressed

• Clutch Will Not Disengage.
    • Clutch override and/or brake rod not properly adjusted.
  • Short secondary belt.
    • Move transaxle to forward position.
    • or install the correct belt.
  • Variator not properly adjusted.
  • Primary belt too short.
    • Install correct belt.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the pivot point on the arm which has the clutching pulleys on it.
These flog out oval because no one ever lubes them.
That reduced the amount of travel of the pulleys so the belts do not get loose enough to slip .

brinkkl2000

Threads
Everything feels good and tight, don't feel any unusual wear. Put a new primary belt on, variator has been adjusted several times. Curious on the "forward postion of transaxle." Can it be moved forward? Don't know if that would help with my problem. Also curious on the clutch override and brake not being adjusted. Brake looks like it is working properly, but I cant find anything on adjusting those. Everything is about the variator.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You get the correct service manual for your particular serial number. Note the serial break is at 100,000

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Everything feels good and tight, don't feel any unusual wear. Put a new primary belt on, variator has been adjusted several times. Curious on the "forward postion of transaxle." Can it be moved forward? Don't know if that would help with my problem. Also curious on the clutch override and brake not being adjusted. Brake looks like it is working properly, but I cant find anything on adjusting those. Everything is about the variator.

"Fees right" does not cut the mustard unless you do a dozen of them a week.
Otherwise you take it off & measure.
Considering the age of the mower I would be amazed if all of the pivots are not flogged out oval.
Also check the rear idler, if it does not swing freely tension on the secondary belt will be too high and prevent the variator moving properly .