JD Z425 Zero turn- Smoke and oil coming out of the exhaust

rubantin

Threads
  • / JD Z425 Zero turn- Smoke and oil coming out of the exhaust
27HP Briggs

So, I jacked up the front of the mower today to check the blades. I noticed there is a hose that comes out of the top of the valve cover (Breather?) and goes into a small roundish plastic puck (pump?) that has other hoses coming out of it...

When it was jacked up there was fuel leaking out of that hose/puck...

I finished checking in about 2 minutes and let it back down. When I started the mower a huge plume of smoke came out and it started misting/spewing oil all over the floor. It ran for about 10 seconds and quit... that repeated about 10 times.....

Not sure what to do at this point.

When I parked it yesterday I topped off the fuel tank... Don't know if that has anything to do with it.

I just checked the oil and it is very thin and overfilled... wasn't yesterday.

rubantin

Threads
Drained oil, changed filter. Installed fuel valve... Running fine now

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your problem was caused by fuel leaking past the float valve then draining into the engine and down into the sump .
This both dilutes the oil and causes the oil level to rise which generates the results you saw.
The carburettor needs to come off and get cleaned
It is also prudent to fit a cut off valve in the fuel line and use it.
It takes very little to stop the float valve sealing properly .
Before you run the engine again dip the oil and see if the level has risen & it feels thin with a slightly fuel smell to it .
You should change the oil , run the engine for 5 minutes then change the oil again and the filter .