JD X728 using oil

ncmaleman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere X728 and it has been a great unit. I bought it new in 2010 and currently has 698 hrs. As of late it has started to use a lot of oil. ( .5qt per 4 hrs)
It does not smoke and still has plenty of power.
What should be my coarse of action to correct this problem ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I would check to be sure the drain plug is tight, and check the oil seals to be sure they aren't shot.
clean everything good, it will make any leaks easier to locate.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you switched to a different brand or viscosity of oil lately? If so, go back to what you were using.

I had a C-50 Chevy truck that I bought used. The owner specifically told me to use "Conoco 30 weight oi"l but didn't explain why and I didn't ask. I disregarded his advice and switched to Quaker State. It guzzled the Quaker State. Switched back to Conoco and the oil consumption problem went away.

ncmaleman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you switched to a different brand or viscosity of oil lately? If so, go back to what you were using.

I had a C-50 Chevy truck that I bought used. The owner specifically told me to use "Conoco 30 weight oi"l but didn't explain why and I didn't ask. I disregarded his advice and switched to Quaker State. It guzzled the Quaker State. Switched back to Conoco and the oil consumption problem went away.
Thank you for your reply. Yes, I have changed brand and viscosity of oil. This is just me being “el cheapo”. I will do as you suggest and hope for the best.
Merry Christmas.

AVB

Threads
Most likely with it being a JD it has a Kawasaki engine.

Kawasaki engines prefer 20W50 engine oil. I have seen where users tried low viscosity to have oil consumption problems here too. Actually Kawasaki recommended to me to use 20W50 synthetic.

The use of Mobile One 15W50 Full synthetic seems to a working viscosity. Even Briggs has switched from 5w30 synthetic to 15w50 synthetic on their newer engines. I can see why as I ran 5W30 synthetic for oil change interval and I found that it was like water when hot.

Lawn Addict
Threads
In my neck of the woods, Kawasaki recommends using 10w-40, which my engine doesn't like. But 15w-40 is good..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely with it being a JD it has a Kawasaki engine.

Kawasaki engines prefer 20W50 engine oil. I have seen where users tried low viscosity to have oil consumption problems here too. Actually Kawasaki recommended to me to use 20W50 synthetic.

The use of Mobile One 15W50 Full synthetic seems to a working viscosity. Even Briggs has switched from 5w30 synthetic to 15w50 synthetic on their newer engines. I can see why as I ran 5W30 synthetic for oil change interval and I found that it was like water when hot.
5w 30 should be the same as 30 when hot,
Where the big difference is is when it is cold
Cold it is SAE 5 and that is very thin so it tends to leak everywhere, past seals and past rings for a few minutes till it heats up a bit