JD mower stops running.

Trout bum

Threads
My neighbor has a John Deere 42 inch mower with a Kohler Courage motor that was made for SCOTTS many years ago.The mower looks in generally good condition as far as I can tell, but he has a problem keeping it running. The problem is that it starts and runs fine for 10 - 15 minutes and then suddenly stops. He waits a couple of hours or overnight and it will start again. Without getting into it to deep I suggested the coil is breaking down. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Everyone have a beautiful fall day while picking up leaves on your JD mower. Troutman Jack

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
buy an inline spark tester, or see if it will fire on carburetor cleaner or starting fluid after it dies.
post the Kohler model number so we can see which courage you've got.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most of the time those symptoms are caused by crud accumulating in the fuel tank & blocking off the fuel outlet .

Trout bum

Threads
Most of the time those symptoms are caused by crud accumulating in the fuel tank & blocking off the fuel outlet .
Bert: Thanks for the suggestion I will pass it on to my neighbor. Most likely he will ask me to do it. Thanks Jack