JD L130 cranks no spark

archerflag

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all ! I hope someone to give me a few tips for trouble shooting my JD L130 . I have no spark at either cylinders was running fine last week till i left key on and ran down battery . So far i have tested newly charged battery cranks over nice and strong . Pulled apart quick concets made sure they were nice and clean . Not sure watt to do next took a look at parts manuel on line JD store thinking may have burt up on of the moguls ? Help please . thanks in advance .

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Uplug the kill wire and try it . Maybe it has a bad module .

archerflag

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, pointed in right direction now. My model is a lot different but by disconnecting quick connect i got it to fire up. now need to figure watts shorting out may be bad key switch? I guess if that doesn't do it i could leave quick connect apart and refeed fuel solenoid. Machine doesn't owe me anything. Bought it over 16 years ago and has seen better days. Thanks again !

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Key switch would be the last thing i'd buy . Check safetys first .

DaveTN

Threads
Probably safety switches like SC said. I just replaced one yesterday
on an old rear engine Snapper.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks, pointed in right direction now. My model is a lot different but by disconnecting quick connect i got it to fire up. now need to figure watts shorting out may be bad key switch? I guess if that doesn't do it i could leave quick connect apart and refeed fuel solenoid. Machine doesn't owe me anything. Bought it over 16 years ago and has seen better days. Thanks again !
The kill wire is a ground wire so it is either open or closed to ground which makes it easy to test
I strongly suggest buying the JD technical manual for your mower
It costs 1 to 2 hours of technicians labour charge so pays for itself the first time you fix something
Very unlikely to be the key switch
Most likely to be a seat or parking brake switch, or the wires between them
Remember as it is a ground circut, if a wire is chaffed through and touches bare metal it will ground so no spark.
The manual will have a wiring diagram so you will know what colour is which wire .
JD has a habit of changing the colour every time a wire passes through a switch which makes electrical fault finding without the manual an "interesting" job.
Even worse is they can change colour codes mid season just to confound would be mechanics .