JD L120 Jerking/Clicking

tobybul

Forum Newbie
Threads
JD L120 with only 248hours. It intermittently jerks and clicks especially going uphill or making tight turns with or without the mower deck. From online research these symptoms do not seem to point to a bad transaxle. Things I've done so far hoping to correct it are (1) replaced the transmission drive belt (2) replaced idler pulleys. This did not fix it. Next, (1) I took off the rear end and drained and replaced the transmission oil. This did not fix it. (2) I checked the splines of the drive shaft where the drive pulley is attached in case it might be damaged. Nothing there. What I noticed is the drive belt does not seem tout and wondering if it is slipping. Could it be that an idler spring is missing? Since I don't know how the original idler setup is supposed to look like I cant tell if some thing is missing or not. Does anyone have information on how the idler setup is supposed to look like?

But of course it could very well be that the transaxle is going bad.

Last edited:

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
make sure that the bolts on the frame are tight and that the transmission mounts are all in good shape. maybe have someone watch it to see if one of the wheels does something funny when the click happens.

tobybul

Forum Newbie
Threads
make sure that the bolts on the frame are tight and that the transmission mounts are all in good shape. maybe have someone watch it to see if one of the wheels does something funny when the click happens.
If the wheels act funny when it clicks what do you think it might be?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads