JD D110 loss of power

Shelburne1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,

I have a D110 that was having issues starting. It would not clear the compression stroke. After Setting the valves Didn’t work, I realized that the cam shaft likely was the issue. Sure enough, the little weight on the bottom that opens up and releases the compression was in pieces in the sump. Put a new Cam shaft in, new spark plug, new oil filter, new fuel filter, new sump gasket, and new PTO oil seal. Put it back together, redid valve adjustments and added oil. It started right up. Runs Greta. Sounds great. Took it for a drive and it drives smooths. No backfires or shuddering. BUT, there is tiny hill in front yard and when I went to drive up it, it just wouldn’t. drove halfway up it and didnt have the power to keep going. engine didnt lag or backfire. I have pulled cart loads of dirt up it with the tractor before no issues. After this, I realised that even thou it is running great, it is lacking power.

any ideas what it may be. It starts great, sounds great... just not the power it had. ?

thanks for any help

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
When is the last time you changed the drive belt? the tires aren't spinning are they? may be a coincidence of the failures.

keakar

Threads
loss of drive up hills is a belt issues unrelated to your other issues you dealt with already

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does the engine slow way down going up that hill, or the mower just won't pull?

Mower King

Threads
Hello,

I have a D110 that was having issues starting. It would not clear the compression stroke. After Setting the valves Didn’t work, I realized that the cam shaft likely was the issue. Sure enough, the little weight on the bottom that opens up and releases the compression was in pieces in the sump. Put a new Cam shaft in, new spark plug, new oil filter, new fuel filter, new sump gasket, and new PTO oil seal. Put it back together, redid valve adjustments and added oil. It started right up. Runs Greta. Sounds great. Took it for a drive and it drives smooths. No backfires or shuddering. BUT, there is tiny hill in front yard and when I went to drive up it, it just wouldn’t. drove halfway up it and didnt have the power to keep going. engine didnt lag or backfire. I have pulled cart loads of dirt up it with the tractor before no issues. After this, I realised that even thou it is running great, it is lacking power.

any ideas what it may be. It starts great, sounds great... just not the power it had. ?

thanks for any help
Drive belt slipping? How about the engine governor, is it set right, after the cam replacement?

Shelburne1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tires are not
When is the last time you changed the drive belt? the tires aren't spinning are they? may be a coincidence of the failures.
I will replace the belt when John Deere opens Monday. Was so focused on the engine never thought of this. Thanks

Shelburne1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does the engine slow way down going up that hill, or the mower just won't pull?
Engine doesn't slow at all. Sounds exactly the same, just wont get up the hill which it easily did before.