Repairs JD D105 My JD d105 has a lose or floppy clutch pedal

Cool-Ace

Threads
  • / JD D105 My JD d105 has a lose or floppy clutch pedal
My JD d105 has a lose or floppy clutch pedal ! At first it was stuck in reverse so I ran a Google search that told me a few things but in the end it took me here so I am new member ! I did the adjustment with shift lever beside the seat that got it out of reverse and I re-adjusted it but it still did not want to shift easy . This is when I seen the foot pedal trying to move so I use my heel to pull it up toward me and doing this it will shift without any problem ! Is there something that maybe missing like a spring someplace that holds the linkage tight ?
Thank U for ur help and comments :smile:

:cool:-Ace

D

Deleted member 97405

My JD d105 has a lose or floppy clutch pedal ! At first it was stuck in reverse so I ran a Google search that told me a few things but in the end it took me here so I am new member ! I did the adjustment with shift lever beside the seat that got it out of reverse and I re-adjusted it but it still did not want to shift easy . This is when I seen the foot pedal trying to move so I use my heel to pull it up toward me and doing this it will shift without any problem ! Is there something that maybe missing like a spring someplace that holds the linkage tight ?
Thank U for ur help and comments :smile:

I have worked at a dealership since 1998, and these transmissions are definitely nothing to brag about. Deere has alot of bulletins out on them.
They should have stuck to the 5 speed transmission they used to have, in my opinion.

I am going to attach two bulletins which seem relevent to your situation.

The most common issue I have run into is debris laying on top of the transmission interferes with the external linkage that works the variators.

Unfortunately, the easiest way to check these out is to remove the transmission from the tractor.

**If you take the mower deck off and use an inspection mirror and shop light, you may be able to check out the top of the transmission without having to remove it.

Use compressed air and blow any debris you can see off the top of the transmission. If that doesn't work, it may have to be removed to further investigate.

Take a look at those bulletins, and if you're uneasy about removing the transmission, you may want to take it to the dealer rather than the local shop because the dealer has access to all the bulletins and will be able to fix it right.

I am a DIY guy and am all about helping people help themselves, but this transmission is a unique animal, and if properly diagnosed, they usually can be repaired.

View attachment D105_sol_96626.pdf

View attachment D105_sol_95937.pdf

Cool-Ace

Threads
I have worked at a dealership since 1998, and these transmissions are definitely nothing to brag about. Deere has alot of bulletins out on them.
They should have stuck to the 5 speed transmission they used to have, in my opinion.

I am going to attach two bulletins which seem relevent to your situation.

The most common issue I have run into is debris laying on top of the transmission interferes with the external linkage that works the variators.

Unfortunately, the easiest way to check these out is to remove the transmission from the tractor.

**If you take the mower deck off and use an inspection mirror and shop light, you may be able to check out the top of the transmission without having to remove it.

Use compressed air and blow any debris you can see off the top of the transmission. If that doesn't work, it may have to be removed to further investigate.

Take a look at those bulletins, and if you're uneasy about removing the transmission, you may want to take it to the dealer rather than the local shop because the dealer has access to all the bulletins and will be able to fix it right.

I am a DIY guy and am all about helping people help themselves, but this transmission is a unique animal, and if properly diagnosed, they usually can be repaired.

View attachment 45423

View attachment 45422

Thank U Will1988 I will check to be sure but as of right now it runs and shifts fine as long as u take and pull the clutch pedal up ! I don't have one to compare it too as if this has always been like this . I don't use this mower only my wife it is her mom's and she is a quair bird lol . So for now I will check this and get back to u about it ! Thank u again for ur help :smile:

Cool-Ace

Threads
Thank U Will1988 I will check to be sure but as of right now it runs and shifts fine as long as u take and pull the clutch pedal up ! I don't have one to compare it too as if this has always been like this . I don't use this mower only my wife it is her mom's and she is a quair bird lol . So for now I will check this and get back to u about it ! Thank u again for ur help :smile:

OK I made a video I hope the link works !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tPYbz2j3xF4Qe7J4A

D

Deleted member 97405

OK I made a video I hope the link works !

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tPYbz2j3xF4Qe7J4A

Excellent video! Thanks for sticking the camera over top the transmission as that is what I was hoping to see. I noticed there is a stick in there that may be interfering with the linkage that goes back to the primary variator. The linkage pushes up on the variator and if something gets stuck in there, it will hold the variator partially engaged and create the problem you are having. I also noticed that the belt was riding pretty deep in your secondary variator(the front one) than I think it should be for being in neutral. So something is keeping the variators partially engaged which is creating the slop in your pedal. What you are doing is manually returning the pedal to neutral so the shift linkage will move. The linkage is made so you cant shift it unless the pedal is all the way up. Take a closer look at the linkage going back to your rear variator and remove the stick you see in the video and let me know how you make out. If still having problems, Can you show a video up under the back of the transmission showing the action of the rear variator? The first pic below is a snapshot from your video showing the stick. I am also attaching some pics from a google search that you can use to compare to yours.

Capture5.jpg

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Cool-Ace

Threads
Excellent video! Thanks for sticking the camera over top the transmission as that is what I was hoping to see. I noticed there is a stick in there that may be interfering with the linkage that goes back to the primary variator. The linkage pushes up on the variator and if something gets stuck in there, it will hold the variator partially engaged and create the problem you are having. I also noticed that the belt was riding pretty deep in your secondary variator(the front one) than I think it should be for being in neutral. So something is keeping the variators partially engaged which is creating the slop in your pedal. What you are doing is manually returning the pedal to neutral so the shift linkage will move. The linkage is made so you cant shift it unless the pedal is all the way up. Take a closer look at the linkage going back to your rear variator and remove the stick you see in the video and let me know how you make out. If still having problems, Can you show a video up under the back of the transmission showing the action of the rear variator? The first pic below is a snapshot from your video showing the stick. I am also attaching some pics from a google search that you can use to compare to yours.

View attachment 45440

View attachment 45436

View attachment 45437

View attachment 45438

View attachment 45439

I looked over these photos , Thank u they came in handy so I took out the small twigg it was just sitting there not stuck or causing the problem . I felt around best as I could to remove a few acorn tops and small bits of gravel but it still lose and not coming back up . I did check with it in park the belt was loose and not deep like u thought it might be but then I may have misunderstood ? I will get photos back to u as you asked for I hope today but it is on and off rain .

D

Deleted member 97405

I looked over these photos , Thank u they came in handy so I took out the small twigg it was just sitting there not stuck or causing the problem . I felt around best as I could to remove a few acorn tops and small bits of gravel but it still lose and not coming back up . I did check with it in park the belt was loose and not deep like u thought it might be but then I may have misunderstood ? I will get photos back to u as you asked for I hope today but it is on and off rain .

The main drive belt coming back from the engine should be loose with the parking brake engaged, I believe. The short wider belt just runs between the variators. Those front variators had known issues of binding up or the top screw working it's way through the retainer cap. I will wait for the pics and see if we can determine anything further.

Cool-Ace

Threads
The main drive belt coming back from the engine should be loose with the parking brake engaged, I believe. The short wider belt just runs between the variators. Those front variators had known issues of binding up or the top screw working its way through the retainer cap. I will wait for the pics and see if we can determine anything further.
OK I took photos from other day and then took some more and added them all in album that U can see here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kKv2QYRDW7aee4BJ8

I hope this will help ?! I washed it out good and then got a few stones nothing bigger than a Linto pea/bean or about the size of a grain of rice. I could not get a photo from the back or tranny my phone is to thick I guess .

D

Deleted member 97405

OK I took photos from other day and then took some more and added them all in album that U can see here

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kKv2QYRDW7aee4BJ8

I hope this will help ?! I washed it out good and then got a few stones nothing bigger than a Linto pea/bean or about the size of a grain of rice. I could not get a photo from the back or tranny my phone is to thick I guess .

Thanks for the pics. I am viewing this on my phone since Im off for the weekend, but in pic 6&7, I see a wad of debris under your rear variator. In the pic, it is at the lower left side of the bottom variator pulley. I also couldnt help but notice some bad cracks in your main drive belt. That wont be causing the issue at hand though. Take a look at the pic and try and get that debris out. With all the external linkages on this unit, it is critical. Also look up under the back of the transmission between the frame and the transmission and you will see the bottom of the linkage for the rear variator. Make sure there is no debris lodged in it.Let me know how you make out.

Cool-Ace

Threads
Thanks for the pics. I am viewing this on my phone since Im off for the weekend, but in pic 6&7, I see a wad of debris under your rear variator. In the pic, it is at the lower left side of the bottom variator pulley. I also couldnt help but notice some bad cracks in your main drive belt. That wont be causing the issue at hand though. Take a look at the pic and try and get that debris out. With all the external linkages on this unit, it is critical. Also look up under the back of the transmission between the frame and the transmission and you will see the bottom of the linkage for the rear variator. Make sure there is no debris lodged in it.Let me know how you make out.
OK I see where u mean ! It is just below the belt . I thought I had taken more pics but after reviewing them I deleted about 5 or 6 they were so blurry ! I will remove that debri and see about maybe another short video and try to turn phone at other angles maybe it will help pick up better that way ! I got long day tomorrow lots to do but I will try to get that 1st thing after I have coffee ;)