JD 170 shuts off

rayians

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 1990 "170 tractor" with the 14HP Kawasaki Engine. I just inherited it from my deceased mother in law and it was well taken care of over it's lifetime. It's been running perfectly until last week. I am having an issue with it staying running. It will only stay running on full choke, and even then it will sputter and start to die out every minute or two. The second I close the choke it just shuts right off.

I have been treating this like a fuel problem and have had no success. I drained and cleaned the tank, and replaced the fuel pump, carb, and fuel filter, and gas cap to eliminate a venting issue. Nothing has even helped slightly. I am really at a loss here, if anyone has any ideas where to even go next, it would be tremendously appreciated.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post all numbers from Kawasaki engine. Check air filter for replacement, check oil level on dipstick, if dirty change it, remove spark plug & inspect for replacement & correct gap, remove blower housing, cover over engine, & clean air vanes on both sides of cylinder to keep engine running cooler, so engine can breathe. Let us know how it goes, thanks, Mark

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get a can of carb cleaner and a trigger bottle ( not a pressure can ) of WD 40
Remove the hood & blower cover
Start the engine
Saturate the engine around the manifold back to the carb and all around the carb itself
If this makes a difference ( usually blows a lot of white smoke ) then you have an air leak .

Test II
start the engine then squirt carb cleaner down the carb ( short shots ) and remove the choke
If you can keep the engine running with the choke off using the carb cleaner then then that confirms a fuel problem

Final Test
Get an in line red spark tester
Install it onto the engine
Start the engine a few times then turn the choke off and watch the tester
IF the tester is flashing but the engine is not firing then it is no arguement a fuel supply problem
IF the tester stops glowing before the engine stops then you have an ignition problem

rayians

Forum Newbie
Threads
Issue resolved.

I pulled the body off the chassis to inspect the fuel line. It was very spongy and would collapse when pinched between two fingers. I replaced the 32 year old lines with new lines from tank to carb and it runs like brand new. I did keep the new fuel filter and carb but sent back everything else I purchased. I should have zero room for error regarding my fuel system for years to come.

Thank you to everyone who contributed. I hope this helps someone else in the future.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
vendors have to hate people who throw parts at things and send them back. I stopped buying from vendors who play that game because they were sending me things other people sent back, often already bolted on and used. "Well, that didn't fix it, I'll try something else......... "