JD 14PZ

nbpt100

Threads
I just picked up a JD 14PZ. It wont start but I have not have any time to find out what is going on. It seems like a nicely designed for a push mower. It has a an Alum Deck. Reminds me of a Toro SR. Powered with a 5HP Briggs Quantum. Did JD make this or is is a Toro? or some other manufacturer?
It does not have the label on it. Therefore I do not know the Model number and S/N. This may make it hard to find parts.

Does anyone have an parts or OP Manual on PDF they could share?
Thanks

JoeM(GA)

Threads
there was a serial number break on the 14PZ owners, I have PDF's of both, I bet, looking at both owners manuals you will find what is different to help you ID it better. I also have a PDF of the parts manual, message me your email if wanted

nbpt100

Threads
D

Deleted member 97405

14PZ is the model number. I don't think the serial number is very important because the 14PZ doesn't appear to have ranges in the parts catalog. (some other models, i.e. 12PB, 14SB, 14SE, 14PB have range splits before and after 175,000 because there was an older green deck version {see pic below} prior to the silver deck. Not to be confused with the later green deck which used the JX and JE model prefixes) The sticker was originally placed on the vertical section of the deck shell right below the hinge for the rear flap. John Deere made them. If the deck shell is still good, it will work on any model in that family (14SB, 14SE, etc) Good decks are getting harder to find as the thin metal strip underneath, that the plastic discharge chute attaches to, usually breaks or the shell rots through from folks fertilizing their yards. Also, you can no longer get the original style wheels from Deere. Not necessarily a valuable collector item, per se, but if it's solid, it will last a long time! I have 4 of the 14SB's that run perfectly and one 14PZ without an engine because someone bent the crank from hitting a stump. I threw the engine away and kept the rest of it because it's in perfect shape and still has the original wheels. Here is a pic showing original style wheels and an arrow pointing to where the serial number would be. I work at a dealership and remember when these were new. This was the best series of walk behind mowers Deere ever built. Hope this helps!
1674228170827.png 1674229123557.png

Last edited by a moderator:

nbpt100

Threads
Thanks for that insight. The label is gone. The deck is in very good condition. The wheels do look a bit wobbley but I may be able to sleeve them with a steel bushing or just replace them with universal wheels. It is a push mower so nothing fancy, no gears. I did notice grease fittings on the rear wheels. Very similar to the Toro Super Recycler. That is another reason why I thought it may be made by Toro. As long as the engine is in good shape I should have an excellent mower. I have the bag ad mulch plug. As far as I can tell It may need a new blade, new or sleeved the wheels, an engine tune up and I should be good to go.

Even if the engine is bad there are plenty of Briggs Quantum engines out there.

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 97405

Thanks for that insight. The label is gone. The deck is in very good condition. The wheels do look a bit wobbley but I may be able to sleeve them with a steel bushing or just replace them with universal wheels. It is a push mower so nothing fancy, no gears. I did notice grease fittings on the rear wheels. Very similar to the Toro Super Recycler. That is another reason why I thought it may be made by Toro. As long as the engine is in good shape I should have an excellent mower. I have the bag ad mulch plug. As far as I can tell It may need a new blade, new or sleeved the wheels, an engine tune up and I should be good to go.

Even if the engine is bad there are plenty of Briggs Quantum engines out there.

Thanks.
They are excellent mowers. The grease fittings at the rear wheels, I believe, were for the height adjuster pivot point, not the wheels. The best way to get it to take grease is to get your wheels off the ground and pump grease into it while moving the adjuster up and down. It they're stiff and won't move, soak them with penetrating oil first before greasing. Then try greasing them once they're loose and move freely.