It's starting already "IT'S A TRAP!!!!!!!!!!"

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Two customers today with one mower they wanna get running. And in return, they have these other really awesome ones, with good "everything," They just need a little something something that I could fix, resell and make millions... UGH...

At least that's how they come across.

I know it's a trap. One I've been caught up in a few times. Sometimes, honestly, it's worked out very well. Especially for the early spring used equipment sales. But other times, I end up with just plain ole junk, with no time to put into them.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
No. Ah, no. Really no. Sorry but i am not a nonprofit business. I checked and the landlord says i can't pay the rent with a lawnmower. He wants cash so i guess that is what i want too. But thanks anyway.

Been there. Didn't fall for it.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
No. Ah, no. Really no. Sorry but i am not a nonprofit business. I checked and the landlord says i can't pay the rent with a lawnmower. He wants cash so i guess that is what i want too. But thanks anyway.

Been there. Didn't fall for it.

Sight unseen, it's a definite no. The last one, I told to bring me what he had.

As you know, I just started this shop last year. (about May) I gotta admit, I made a LOT of money on used equipment. Plus I ended up getting many customers who came to look at something I had for sale, then found out they had one that was in need of repairs. So, I end up fixing theirs.

Seriously, If I had had 100 push mowers and 30 riders ready to sell last summer, I wouldn't have a one right now.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don't get caught out by the weird circumstances of 2020
Down here right now you can not buy a push mower for love or money apart from store branded Chinese junk.
So funny enough I have sold a lot of used mower and fixed a lot of stuff that customers had left in the back of their sheds a decade ago.
I have sold all of the alloy based Victa 2 strokes I had in the graveyard, many going to people ardent they ever wanted a 2 stroke again.
When production in China gets full swing again & Briggs can get carburettors magnetos again the used market will slow down a lot .
Same story with line trimmers , only junk Chinese or Japanese Hondas available.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now, Now PT you know no ones lies through their teeth. Well those with teeth anyway. I learned never accept anything on face valve when it comes to repairs. Customers will try to take advantage of you anytime they think you are that gullible. They will come out of the wood works.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am lucky enough that most of my customers are repeats and new customers are referrals. Very few try to take advantage of me. I have no sign out front and advertising is business cards and word of mouth. I get the occasional person wanting a quote for repairs over the phone or a ballpark price. I never do it. Once i did take an old toro 521 snowblower in trade for work on a riding mower. It was for a woman i knew was having financial issues. Probably ten years ago. Still have the snowblower. The few customers who have tried to jerk me around get quoted a price that usually turns them away.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
"Seriously, If I had had 100 push mowers and 30 riders ready to sell last summer, I wouldn't have a one right now"

I had a 36" JD RX75 for sale for 3 years before i sold it. Nobody wanted a 36" rider. Most folks around me want used push mowers to trim with. You are right about having 100 push mowers. I could sell them too. I wish i had 100 of the old $99 K Mart specials with the 3.5 HP Briggs. Funny thing is electric start and self propelled actually lowers what people will pay for a used push mower because folks know the stuff will fail. They just want a spinning blade and 4 wheels.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I gave up trying to sell recondition equipment. Everyone that came would low ball me everytime. I not selling a walk behind for $20 when I got over $50 in it not am selling a 46" rider for $100 when I got $350 in it (parts alone).

I do have sign out front but I don't do advertising as it just brings in the dead beats. Word of mouth is my best referrals.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I always ask a little more than what I'm selling something for. Like if I want $600 for a rider, I'll ask $700. Many times they'll ask if I'll take $650. Of course I act like I gotta think about it. But always say yes, but with no warranty.
The only things I do warranty are things that I actually repaired to get the mower going. If all it needed was a carb and some belts, that's the only thing I warranty.
But passing up selling used equipment is throwing easy money away.. Obviously, you don't put more into one than you can get for it.

I've got a really nice Husqvarna 46" that I took in on trade last year. It came in with a blown engine. I had an engine I was going to put in it, but it got sold after the mowing season ended. So, I'll have to wait for another. There's no doubt one will come in. But it'll sell for over $1,000. And I won't have more than $100 in it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
"Seriously, If I had had 100 push mowers and 30 riders ready to sell last summer, I wouldn't have a one right now"

I had a 36" JD RX75 for sale for 3 years before i sold it. Nobody wanted a 36" rider. Most folks around me want used push mowers to trim with. You are right about having 100 push mowers. I could sell them too. I wish i had 100 of the old $99 K Mart specials with the 3.5 HP Briggs. Funny thing is electric start and self propelled actually lowers what people will pay for a used push mower because folks know the stuff will fail. They just want a spinning blade and 4 wheels.
Sort of reminds one of the joke that was going around in the 70's of a tree swing dosen't it.
Did a warranty repair on a Victa 18" with a sprint engine on Friday ( replaced the primer ) and the 72 y/o owners could not believe how light & easy it was to push.
It replaced a 22" SP of unknown manufacture with a GV190 that has a gear box problem ( Locks up in reverse ) , a bent crank & leaking bottom seal.
he other thing he noticed was being lower to the ground, it mowed under the bottom fence rail , garden chairs and shrubs which saved hours of line trimming .
HE will be coming back to swap it for a 19" when I get one ready as he has about 900 sq yds to mow