It died.

John Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Toro LX460 garden tractor with a Kohler engine. It is about 15 years old and always has treated me well. Now I have blown three fuses (the one and only 20 amp car fuse located behind the dash). The last one after running for only about 30 seconds without the PTO engaged. I removed the top engine cover and the gas tank and can see most of the wiring. Everything seems in order. Has anyne else had this issue as I have no idea why the fuse is blowing out. I do not have nor know how to use any diagnostic type of testing apparatus but I would like to have an idea what to suggest to a repair guy. Any ideas for this dumb Canuk. Thanks. Edited to add that as soon as the last fuse blew I pulled it out and it was very hot.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Usually I would suspect the charging circuit
Locate the regulator rectifier on the side of the engine
Pull off the flat 3 pin plug
See if the fuse blows
Let us know what happens
If you have a pair of eyes that work, a length of insulated wire & a globe you have all of the electrical testing equipment you need

John Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK thanks B. Once I figure out what a regulator rectifier is and how to find it. I'm assuming a 16 year old Kohler has one. Later.

Oh and if I can make a tester from a wire and bulb I will.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It will have 2 wires the same colour and one that is different which is generally purple on kohlers
That wire caries the power the alternator generates back to charge the battery and is the one that generally causes grief.
IT is a process of removing one part at a time to see where the problem is
After that a decision as to weather to repair or replace
Removing the plug will determine if the problem is with the engine or the mower

John Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. I will be following the suggestions here very soon. I found the rectifier this morning. Since I made the assumption the problem was with the tractor I failed to describe my engine. It is a Kohler Courage 20 Model # SV600S built in 2006.

Edited to add " Pull off the flat 3 pin plug
See if the fuse blows
Let us know what happens" .

Would that be with the ingition key turned on or off. And engine running or not. Please excuse my ignorance as I do appreciate all your help. I'm down to my last two fuses so I might have to go pick up some more.

Last edited:

John Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
My rectifier is part # 41 403 09 and has four lines going in. Purple and orange to the battery harness and two white ones from the engine. I was able to remove it. Typically Amazon has several anywhere from 20 bucks to 137. I checked local parts store and have now ordered one from Amazon for delivery tomorrow or Thursday for $25.00 Cdn. with free shipping. I'll get back after I install it. Thanks again guys.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks guys. I will be following the suggestions here very soon. I found the rectifier this morning. Since I made the assumption the problem was with the tractor I failed to describe my engine. It is a Kohler Courage 20 Model # SV600S built in 2006.

Edited to add " Pull off the flat 3 pin plug
See if the fuse blows
Let us know what happens" .

Would that be with the ingition key turned on or off. And engine running or not. Please excuse my ignorance as I do appreciate all your help. I'm down to my last two fuses so I might have to go pick up some more.
From your original post you said the fuse was blowing when the engine was running
SO what I would like you to do is fully charge the battery then go mow with the rectifier plug off.
Before you start spending your hard earned cash we would like to find the problem
No good replacing expensive parts if all that was needed was 2" of tape to cover a chaffed wire
Hopefully the mower will run for the full capacity of the battery which you can calculate ( roughly) by dividing the Ah number by 5 .
Depending upon the battery used and it's condition you should get at least 50 starts or 5 hours mowing out of it before it gets too flat to run the mower .

Gord Baker

Threads
Clean and follow EVERY wire looking for chafed or shorting areas.

John Anderson

Forum Newbie
Threads
From your original post you said the fuse was blowing when the engine was running
SO what I would like you to do is fully charge the battery then go mow with the rectifier plug off.
Before you start spending your hard earned cash we would like to find the problem
No good replacing expensive parts if all that was needed was 2" of tape to cover a chaffed wire
Hopefully the mower will run for the full capacity of the battery which you can calculate ( roughly) by dividing the Ah number by 5 .
Depending upon the battery used and it's condition you should get at least 50 starts or 5 hours mowing out of it before it gets too flat to run the mower .
Hey Bert, If I may call you Bert. I just wanted to thank you for your solid advice. I just now finished cutting my 1/3 acre of grass thanks to you. I ordered the rectifier from Amazon and my "Prime" got it delivered from British Columbia (I am in Ontario) in two days. Without your heads up suggestions I would never have found the problem on my own. You saved me a ton of money. I could not find any chaffed wires anywhere and took my chance on spending $28.00 (Cdn,tax included) and got 'er done. Typically Amazon was all over the map with pricing from $137 down to $20. My local place quoted me $106 plus tax and a week to get it from Winnipeg Manitoba. My wife was all geared up to buy me a new one but insisted I had to go smaller. No chance in hell and I am sure you can relate. Thanks again. This forum is mint.