ISX 2200 52" vs 61" deals - any input?

drew_351

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking around at getting a Ferris zero turn. I have back issues and need something that helps cushion the terrain more than my current John Deer riding tractor. My current deck size is 62" and that seems to do pretty well size wise for my property, sure with some of the hills it scalps the grass down a little but it isn't too bad overall. On a new tractor I would consider the 52" or the 61" deck. I mow about 3 acres currently and it takes me almost 3 hours on my tractor. I would really like to have the suspension and extra seat springs to give it a better ride that the 2200 offers. I have heard good things about the Vanguard Oil Guard on these units also.

Anyway, there is a deal currently on a new 52" ISX2200 demo unit, has 2.5 hours and the deck has never cut grass and has the Vanguard engine. I can get it for $8200 before tax, and since my wife is a nurse there is currently an extra $500 I can get off it. After taxes it would come to $8151. msrp on it is $10,999.

The best deal I can find on a ISX 2200 61" is $9400, after all is said and done with taxes and I get the rebate it would come to $9417. msrp on it is $11,499. Do you think this is worth the extra $1266 for the wider deck? That is pretty much the only thing that is different between the models. Both have the Vanguard engine, premium suspension seat, but different sized deck.

I can't believe it but one of the other dealers I had been talking with got back to me about what he had. He has a 2100 on clearance, 61", 26HP, and he would put the premium suspension seat on it, for $8143 out the door, after rebate it would be $7768. He said he was pulling out all that he could possibly do for me. That is a 61" with 2 less HP, no oil guard, not EFI, and not the new suspension system, but it is $342 less than the 52" 28HP 2200.

This will be my first zero turn mower. Really looking at this as an investment in myself and maybe prevent some back pain and future issues for myself.

Last edited:

beddy85

Threads
I dont not own a ferris, but in the fall of 2019 I demoed just about every popular brand of midmount zero turn in our area. The ferris I demoed was a 2100z, 61", 26hp carb, but without the suspension seat. I mow a hair over 3acres, mostly flat with about 20 trees. I will say that the 2100 without the suspension seat without a shadow of a doubt rode alot nicer than all the other machines I demoed. If it were me, one thing I noticed on all the machines I demoed, the 61" deck gives you a little more sticking put past the rear tire for when you want to go around objects. It also depends on tire width also, as some have different tire sizes. As far as the oilguard goes, I have also heard good things about them, but also my opinion on that is that the typical homeowner will change oil once a year anyway so the benefit of the longer oil change intervals doesnt pertain as much to an average home owner vs a commercial mowing company. I do however believe it keeps the oil cooler so therefore should promote engine longevity. When I demoed the 2100 with the 26hp, my grass was nice and lush and green. I was taking about 1/3 off and could mow with the sticks all the way ahead and never felt once it was overpowered. If the 26hp if maintained properly it should easily go 1500hrs no problem. The 61" should cut your mowing time in half from what your doing now with your garden tractor, the 52" would also run circles around the garden tractor. Now, you gotta know how you want to spend you money but the 2100 is priced quite a bit less than the 2200 with 61, and as far as the 52" man I don't know what to tell you. If you want to get your lawn mowed as fast as possible I'd go with the 61. Either way you are making the correct choice going with the ferris to help your back. At the end of the day I ended up going with a grasshopper front mount just for the fact I can move snow with it also, but if i were to go to a midmount I'd go ferris without question. Sorry for the long reply, hopefully I helped you out somewhat.