Issues with new 354XD

slang

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a new 354XD and I have an issue currently working on with the dealer.
There is a lot of vibration when the deck is engaged and a noticeable amount when not which seems strange.
Background, Got the mower a month ago and with the first mow I noticed the vibration and checked over everything and all seemed fine. Blades installed and torqued, all pulleys free and tight , spindles tight and smooth, deck leveled properly, so I suspected the belt had a few bumps from sitting in the same position since assembled and it would work itself out after another mow. After 5 hours on the clock it didn't get better so spoke to dealer , took the belt to them and there were a few small bumps so a new one was ordered. New belt arrived and after installation no difference, vibration still there. Started to get curious at this point so I noticed that when the deck isn't engaged the belt from the clutch to the first bully is vibrating a lot (a good inch of vertical movement ) but the clutch pully does not appear to be moving enough to cause it. I am at a loss here, I don't have a dial indicator but I ran the motor at idle without the belt on and and there didn't look like there was any runout.
Don't know guys, all I know is its going to the dealer to get sorted out. Any Ideas out there? Checked the motor mounting bolts and they are tight. Could it be a bad clutch or a motor out of balance? Has 10 hours on it now.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check idler arm mount bolt at deck for being too small, diameter & length to handle the torque when engaging PTO clutch. I have a 2010 Simplicity Broadmoor with 46" deck that I purchased new June of 2010. My deck had same issue, so my son & I removed deck & disassembled idler arm assy. which included both idler arms upper & lower with bushings being held together with grade 5 bolt 3/8" x 1 & 1/2" long. Found bolt stretched & warped, so we drilled out deck & 2 bushings plus 1 bracket to 7/16" & installed new grade 8 bolt 7/16" diameter & 2 1/2" long with 1 1/2" shank with 2 flat washers & self locking nut. I sent suggestion to B&S years ago & never heard a word, probably using same small 3/8" grade 5 bolt assy. today on idler arm assemblies.

slang

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks mechanic mark, I noticed that most of the hardware used on this "Fabricated deck" is undersized imho. The only thing that's different from the lowest line of deck is the spindles are cast rather than aluminum. It's at the dealer since Monday so we will see what they think it is. I believe the vibration is originating from the motor, clutch, or hydro drive pully and then propagating through the deck via the belt. My fear is that since the mower technically works correctly they wont address the problem. Then later down the road I will be replacing the crank seal or bearings due to the vibration. The Kawasaki motor should be pretty smooth or thats what I was kind of expecting. The marketing monkeys probably know this lol
Thanks again for you suggestion, cheers....

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks slang forgetting back. Please keep us informed as to what Dealer finds.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And send some emails to the dealer so if it falls apart at a latter date you have dated proof of your problem.
This is very important.

slang

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dealer called and he agreed the vibration seems to be coming from the clutch being out of balance or damaged during assembly. Husqvarna is replacing the clutch and engine just to be safe. That is good service for sure. A good example of why you should buy from a dealer instead of a big box store if you can. Happy camper....