IS3100Z Big Block Starting Issues

lawnboy427

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Ferris IS3100z Big Block (32HP) and its' having starting problems. When you attempt to start it the solenoid might click once or twice to as much as 30-40 times before it engages the starter. I replaced the solenoid and it worked fine for a few days. Then it would do it occasionally but now it is back to being a constant problem. Up to this point it has always ended up starting but it continues to get worse and worse. Any thoughts?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
have you checked your battery voltage, check it while everything is off, and (get someone to help you) check the voltage with the key in "start" position.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
How about GROUNDS. Us human people never give them any thought. Takes 2 to tango.

slomo

lawnboy427

Forum Newbie
Threads
have you checked your battery voltage, check it while everything is off, and (get someone to help you) check the voltage with the key in "start" position.
I've had the battery tested twice and was told it was fine. I haven't put a voltage meter on it while trying to start it though so I will give that a try.

lawnboy427

Forum Newbie
Threads
How about GROUNDS. Us human people never give them any thought. Takes 2 to tango.

slomo
Although it acts like a ground issue I have inspected and retightened every ground connection I can find.

lawnboy427

Forum Newbie
Threads
What should the voltage read when the key is in the starting position?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Clean all battery cable and ground connections. Get a short piece of heavy gauge wire and repeatedly jump the 2 big terminals of the solenoid. If the starter is good it will crank every time you jump the terminals. If it does not crank you have a bad starter. Dead spots in the commutator and brushes.

I have IS3100z with the 36hp engine. Awesome mower

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've had the battery tested twice and was told it was fine. I haven't put a voltage meter on it while trying to start it though so I will give that a try.
Again you totally ignored what I said about grounds. I even put it in capitol letters. Check your ground cable/s and connectors/connections.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Jumper cables can help you out too.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Although it acts like a ground issue I have inspected and retightened every ground connection I can find.
Which means they were NOT tested under load.

slomo