IS2600Z Diesel Acting Up - Any Assistance Appreciated

midwestmowerguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / IS2600Z Diesel Acting Up - Any Assistance Appreciated
Hi Folks, I just bought a "new holdover" 2017 IS2600Z diesel mower with 61" deck and 3 cylinder Yanmar diesel and I absolutely love it. Just turned over 4 hours and has been blown away by the smooth ride coming from an older Dixon 61". Yesterday, I was mowing on a smooth sidehill and suddenly the PTO just shut off. I thought for a moment that I had bumped the PTO switch with my elbow but hadn't, so I pushed it back in then pulled it back out and then the mower killed. Oil level/pressure and temp are just fine. Set parking brake, disengaged PTO, opened ZTR handles and it fired right back up so I think all is just fine. Removed parking brake and immediately died again. Thought maybe it was a seat switch but it is working since if I set the parking brake, start the engine and then stand up, it also dies. However, I don't believe this is normal behavior....IIRC I was able to stand up off the seat with the parking brake engaged and mower running before this happened. So anyways that tells me the switch is functioning but something else in the system is throwing a fit. Now that I think about it, this also happened maybe 2 other times prior to this episode where I would start it to back out of the shed and removing the parking brake would cause it to kill but generally shutting the mower off, hopping up of the seat and sitting back down and restarting it would fix it. I checked all 4 fuses on the machine with multimeter and they are good. Used multimeter to check continuity on 4 prong parking brake switch and that is functioning as it should. I've jumpered the 2 prong seat plug and exact same symptoms. I have been staring at wiring diagrams so long that I'm going cross-eyed. They resemble a wiring diagram for a car (see last pages of the link)

Wiring Diagram Link - See last pages of the PDF
Parts Manual / Wiring Diagrams

Does anyone have any ideas of other things it could be?

Strange symptoms:
While running and parking brake set and handles out, standing up causes the engine to die.
While running and parking brake set and handles out, disengaging parking brake causes the engine to die.
With parking brake set and handles out, attempting to start not on the seat allows it to fire up but as soon as I stop cranking, the engine dies. I believe before you could start it by standing beside the machine with brake set.
Sitting in the seat with it running, parking brake set, handles out....pulling the PTO switch causes the engine to die. (This may be normal when the brake is on though....not sure)

There is more wiring on this mower than most tractors we own and I am at my wits end?. There are fuses, relays, time delay modules, deck shutdown module, a driver (altitude) solenoid (which I've never heard of before) and 4 different safety switches.

Our closest Ferris dealer is over an hour away and after calling them, they said to simply check the seat switch and sounded like they didn't want to be bothered with it. In the end, it is under warranty and I can have them take it to troubleshoot but I'd hate to be without it for a week or more if it is something that I'm simply overlooking. Also, I've done the usual looking for any pinched wires, etc and all is good.

If anyone could help or throw some ideas over the fence I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Pete6114

Threads
  • / IS2600Z Diesel Acting Up - Any Assistance Appreciated
check both control arm switches? I'm thinking of getting the IS2600Z myself. Problem is lack of good dealer that stocks parts, even blades, and actually cares past making a sale near me in SW Ontario, CAN