IS1500Z replacing starter

navycut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 10 yr old Ferris Is1500Z mod# 5900877 IS1500ZKAV2048 and it has a FX600V Kawasaki engine. I have the starter loose but can,t get it to drop down enough to get out. My question is do I have to lift the engine to get the starter out ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
1628534841016.png
You should have enough room for it to drop drop straight down... is it hitting on the mower frame?

navycut

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Scrubcadet10, it is a very tight space and I can,t tell what is preventing it from dropping enough to clear the engine.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
HAve you removed the blower housing ?
On a lot of mowers it needs to come off the get enough wiggle room because there is not enough space between the engine & the floor.

navycut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I finally got it out, thanks for the suggestions.The blower housing was not in the way, I had trouble because of the way the frame and engine pan comes together on this mower.I removed the battery and the frame for the hyd oil storage tank and that helped.I have the new starter on order just waiting to get it installed.

navycut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got the new starter & solenoid installed I have 12v to solenoid but still won,t crank. Anyone have any thoughts?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try with the spark plugs out ?
Can you turn the engine over by hand ?
You came here sort of 1/2 way through a job so the burning question is why are you replacing the starter in the first place.
Believe it or not, I sold a starter to a customer who told me he bought one of ebay that did not work.
Couple of weeks latter he came back demanding a refund despite being told no refund on electrical parts because my starter was just as bad as the one he ought off ebay.
Eventually I offered to double the refund if he watched me put it on a mower & it would not crank asI had already shown him it was working by hooking up to a jump start pack.
His jaw hit the ground when the engine fired right up.
You have probably guessed the problem, he had been mowing across a slope & siezed the engine solid despite it being completely full of oil

navycut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I replaced the starter because the piggy back solenoid was bad.The engine turn over fine

navycut

Forum Newbie
Threads
I found the new problem,the battery had a bad cell,thanks for the input