Is this piece meant to be attached to the flywheel cup?

ilmiont

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Is this piece meant to be attached to the flywheel cup?
BVS 143.

This part which I suspect is intended to be a debris shroud and possibly a cooling aid sits below the recoil housing and span with the flywheel.

Lately the engine started making metallic banging sounds which I now know were this piece knocking against the flywheel. In the first video, you can see it could be rattled up and down against the flywheel; the clanks at 00:04 - 00:06 were frequently heard during running. At 00:15 you also hear a horrific screech as it drags across the flywheel fins; this would also occur during running (you can hear this very clearly in the video of it idling).

Two questions really:

1) Is this thing meant to be attached to the flywheel cup?
2) Is it necessary for running? As it's become clear this is the culprit behind the horrible noises, I've taken it off for now as it will not sit quietly. All sounds a lot healthier as expected! At risk of answering my own question, but I suspect the consensus will be it shouldn't work like this without risking excess dirt in the cooling fins? Does the rotation of the shroud directly aid cooling in any way?

I attach a picture of the assembly with the shroud removed and a video of it idling while it was still attached. The flywheel nut is torqued up to 55 Nm for reference; I'm not sure what it's meant to be as I can't find any torque specs for this specific engine. Does the BVS have a corresponding model number in Tecumseh US series? There seems to be very little documentation even mentioning BVS/Europa models.

IMG_1617.JPG
IMG_1618.JPG

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Is this piece meant to be attached to the flywheel cup?
It is supposed to be attached to the starter cup. Not necessary for running, Does help prevent large pieces of debris from getting into the cooling fins, but other than that really doesn't serve a purpose. just have to make sure you clean the cooling fins on a regular basis.