Is this normal for a new TORO Recycler Mower??

ronusa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just purchased a new TORO Recycler 20340 Mower with the B&S 163cc engine. I have only used it twice, but each time after the engine has run about 4-5 minutes, the engine will briefly sputter about a half second or so like it is running out of gas, then run normally once again for about the same time period and repeat the same scenario. It has brand new fresh gas that I put into it so I seriously doubt it is a bad gas issue. Otherwise the engine runs just fine, and it uses a lot less gas than the previous Honda mower that I owned. I know this engine is self-priming and has a fixed engine speed since there is no throttle and or choke cable. Just wondering if this is normal for the engine to run like this; or if there is a quick simple fix for this problem. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not normal, sounds like a fuel blockage. Back to the dealer to be checked out under warranty. I’d be checking for some sort of fuel blockage or an ignition problem.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've ran into this with a Chinese spark plug. I try a new plug first off, Chinese or otherwise.

zrxkawboy

Threads
Having the same issue with the same model. Did you ever resolve this?

gotomow

Threads
Like the advice above try a new plug. However if you read the customer reviews on the Toro's with the Briggs engine this is a common problem. I think someone put an o ring on the govenor linkage pivot and that seemed to help.

Last edited:

zrxkawboy

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I tried a new NGK plug. Any more info on the o-ring?

gotomow

Threads
Apparently one of the reviewers said he traced the issue to a very sensitive govenor. He placed the o ring to dampen the sensitivity. I'll see if I can find his review. I avoided the Briggs and went with the Toro engine on my super recycler in part because of the Briggs reviews.

gotomow

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned that I tried a new NGK plug. Any more info on the o-ring?

Here is the his review:
"I loved this mower for the first mow. Then the sputtering started. I changed the fuel, the spark plug, snapped the boot in place. Still sputtering on uneven surfaces and bumping into things. Got to looking at it and the governor is super sensitive to any impacts. I put an o-ring over the little bump-stop on the carb body to keep the governor from bouncing into a fuel starvation position over rough terrain. This worked for me. Hopefully Toro and Brings will come up with a better solution, maybe a customer satisfaction campaign or something to resolve this issue. For the price of this mower I am definitely disappointed in the QA/QC department. "

gotomow

Threads
Pic20200930_082944_compress57.jpg20200930_082944_compress57.jpg

zrxkawboy

Threads
I don’t think this is my issue, as mine is much more like the OP described, except it happens a little more often than every 4-5 minutes. In fact, I have tried to duplicate it by going over rough areas in the yard, and can’t. It just happens when it wants to, and is very brief, and the engine runs great the rest of the time.

Thanks a lot for finding this info for me, though. Things like this are always good to be aware of in case it would come up in the future. I appreciate your help!