Is there a solution for this?

KM Richards

Threads
For the past 3 years I've been using my Toro TimeCutter MX 5475 and it's been performing great so far.

But, one thing that irritates me is that the front wheels have to be greased fairly frequently since there are no sealed bearings.

Seeing how this is a swivel wheel, it there a bolt on replacement where the bearing the wheel spins on is a sealed bearing that is protected from dirt and dust and doesn't have to be greased?

On my current setup, you pump in axle grease until it starts coming out the back so this is NOT what I have in mind for a replacement.

Surely somebody makes a sealed bearing for this right?
If anyone knows where to find so a replacement for this, please let me know.

Maybe the entire swivel wheel unit on both sides can be replaced with something mo model that has sealed bearings.. double sealed bearing would be even better!.

KM Richards

Threads
Maybe someone should invent sealed bearing for lawn mowers?

Maxify

Forum Newbie
Threads
The design of the front wheel is that for a bushing not a wheel bearing. If you want, I suppose, you could buy a castor style wheel off a larger wrecked machine {ZTR} but the spindle diameter {#1} will usually be greater than the housing of the frame assembly.
Toro 138-9839-01
That wheel Caster does cross over to an Exmark Mower

KM Richards

Threads
That's my question... WHY would they design a bushing for the wheel to turn on instead of using a sealed bearing which would last far longer

Maybe they know the bushing will play out and they can sell some parts!

I guess someone would have to custom build a steel wheel that has a sealed bushing pressed in both sides and have a mounting bracket so it can bolt on to the fork

KM Richards

Threads
The design of the front wheel is that for a bushing not a wheel bearing. If you want, I suppose, you could buy a castor style wheel off a larger wrecked machine {ZTR} but the spindle diameter {#1} will usually be greater than the housing of the frame assembly.
Toro 138-9839-01
That wheel Caster does cross over to an Exmark Mower

I didn't see any of these options having a wheel that is any different than the wheel my mower currently has... which spins on a bushing and not on a sealed bearing on each side of the wheel

Maxify

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, Sir! Right away, Sir! I'll get right on it! BTW, there'll be another $100 added to the manufacture of your machine.
On my end, that is. Then there's the extra cut each & every middleman that touches the mower. End result would probably be another $250.
I used to keep an old TimeCutter running for a neighbor, years ago.
Let's just say, I'm not a fan but you have to fish from the old john boat and not that new BassPro Cruiser;)

Maxify

Forum Newbie
Threads
When I sold my farm I was sporting a new Ferris Diesel 60" Z.
Nice ride but, I too, started somewhere farther over by Tractor Supply

KM Richards

Threads
I hear lots of zero turn radius mowers have the same crappy front wheel design, so the issue is not that my mower is a TimeCutter

Besides, it's performed great for over 3 years and the seat has it's own suspension system to it's way more comfortable than most mowers out there.

I would rather not have to grease the bushing on that front wheels every time it starts to squeaking. Using a sealed bearing is not going to so much cost to the mower to make it that much more expensive.

Maxify

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it bothers you that much, Bro., get busy.
My point was, & still is, that you wanted a mower at a price point.
It's lasted you all these years.
Enjoy it.
BTW, any ball bearing you can find has numbers affixed to it's outer or inner race.
Google: Ball bearing manufacturers & there you will find a wonderful world of ball bearings.
You'll find sealed with plastic, open &, my personal favorite, stainless steel.
Loaded with aircraft grade grease for extended wear.
On a farm we had to make lots of older parts last or reman. them to fit our application.
Sample:
Bearing Mfg

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you find doing routine maintenance onerous then pay some one else to cut your grass .
Just like blade spindles, the tension arm pivot the drive belt pivot plus all of the places where metal moves against metal, the front casters need to be greased
If done regularly it takes all of about 10 minutes once a month,1 or 2 strokes .
Use a better quality grease and if you leave it til the wheels start to squeak then you are doing damage to the bearing and the shaft which causes excessive wera so the greae works it's way out faster .
Cheap greeases have more suspension medium and less lubricant
You can put high temperature wheel bearing grease in there is you like
and if it really runs out quickly the fir some felt washers to pack out the space between the yoke & the wheel .