is it worth it

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Small engine rebuilders - Have a 15 year old pressure washer, small generac that is relabeled Craftsman. 3.5 - 4 hp or so. Does the job of washing cars, occasional drive way etc. Lots of hours on it. Runs well, pump has been replaced a couple times. Carb rebuilt etc. Noticed today it is starting to smoke a little - probably has been for awhile because I recently re-torqued the head bolts and that really perked it up. Going to change the oil to see if that has any effect, do it once a year anyway and watch the level. Wondering if it is worth and financially viable to rebuild it. I figure if the rings are at fault the cost for a new piston and rings plus boring it has to be pricey - and if it is the guides, what can one do? Aren't they cast into the block? Are they replaceable or is it a knurl and ream thing? I'd hate to put more money into it to find out the rebuild really didn't do much to slow smoking when running, Steve

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Generally, it isn't necessary to bore the cylinder and replace the piston. Just a new set of rings and a valve job will restore the performance it originally had.

Valve guides--smaller engines usually just have a hole bored in the aluminum engine block. They do make replacement guides which are usually brass/bronze. You will have to bore the block to accept these guides. I rebuilt a 3 hp B&S recently and had to install these valve guides. I think the guides cost less than $10 and the machining and installation cost $25.

Threads
It is worth rebuilding.........

Like CPurvis said a new set of rings and lapping the valves. No guides just a hole for the exhaust and a valve seal for the intake side...... That comes with the rebuild kit.......

The number for the rebuild kit is 590777 The rings don't come with the kit.

It is a Briggs engine right ??

Shoot me a model number ~!~!

Threads
OOPS I was speed reading again.

Generac makes their own engines ~!~!

Unless it says Briggs on the engine......

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
it says Briggs and Stratton 4.0 hp.

zman111666

Threads
I am almost ashamed to post this, but when my Mi-T-M 3200 psi Pressure washer with a 13hp motor broke down, I ran to Harbor Freight to get something to hold me over until i fixed it. For around $100 i picked up an electric 1750psi little washer that I have been using pretty much every day, often 1/2 to 1 hour at a time, blasting out the bottom of mower decks and washing all kinds of equipment, and it hasn't let me down. I can spend that every year or two and not feel the least bit bad about it. Don't have to start it, don't have to fuel it, lifts easy with one hand and stores away in almost no space. It's how I'll be going from now on.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Boudreaux In Eunice La. - model number on the manual that came with it (meaning I have not gone out to verify that is on the engine) 10A902-233-01. I think it is in the Briggs database as 10A902-0233-01. BTW did you ever find the fuel pump on the 8 hp Briggs and Stratton? I messaged you but did not hear back.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It really depends on what type of rebuild you plan on doing, garage rebuild basic at best or a good professional rebuild. Having rebuilt hundreds of engines over the the past 50 years, I would not spend the money on a rebuild. In today's market it is just not worth. Run the unit until it dies, then replace. Even if it was my unit and I would get my parts at discount and can do machining where needed at no cost, it still would not be worth it for me to do it.

Threads
Boudreaux In Eunice La. - model number on the manual that came with it (meaning I have not gone out to verify that is on the engine) 10A902-233-01. I think it is in the Briggs database as 10A902-0233-01. BTW did you ever find the fuel pump on the 8 hp Briggs and Stratton? I messaged you but did not hear back.

Ok then that kit # will fit that engine.

I haven't went to my buddy's place yet. It is a 20 mile drive. Soon tho ~!~!

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thank you - heard things were a little windy and wet today - hope all are Ok.